Sydney - day 3


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
February 6th 2009
Published: February 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our first stop this morning was breakfast, we didn't have any food at the campsite so we had to go into the City. We went to the food hall above Paddy's market. Once we had eaten we spent just over an hour walking aorund the indoor markets, There were loads of souvenirs and the prices were good, we'll be coming back before we leave! By 11.30am we walked up to Hyde Park, the main gardens in the CBD. We went to St Marys cathedral, there are fountains on top of a swimming Centre which is underground in front of it! We then went to Sydney Tower.
The views from the Observation Level are 360 views and they are amazing. You can see the Blue Mountains, the City, Darling Harbour and Manly beach. The tower is 1000ft high, at full spead the lifts take 30 sec to ascend 76 floors ! Whilst we were looking out we saw one of the 40 fires of that day start - pretty scary how quickly it got going! The Oz Trec was included in our ticket, this is a virtual reality trip around Australia.
We grabbed some lunch at the Central Sydney Plaza, had sushi and salad - the sushi here is so so cheap - loving it! We then had a proper look around QVB, so many diffrent shops on 3 - 4 levels. We didn't realise how far underground it went! We walked down the main campers street in search of a fleece or thermals for me for NZ ! Everyone keeps saying how cold it is and after Taz i don't want to risk it! I ended buying a fleece - at least i can bring it home and use in the uK ! We then walked around Cockle Bay, over the bridge to the Aquarium.
We first got to see a platypus and a crocodile. We then went to see the dugongs.. it was so lovely to see them close up after seeing them in the wild. They are such beautifull creatures, you could spend hours walking them as they are so gracefull... The walk carried on to the sea area, there were sharks, laggerhead turtle - the huge one!, this one was nearly the size of Chris!
Then it was the Coral Bay area. the fish are extraordinary - the colours, shapes and even the coral , really can't wait to do the East coast now and see it all in the wild!
The Aquarium and other major sites are open until 10pm so you can do them all in a day or 2 if you are short on time!
We got the bus back and had soup for dinner, we got to introduce our Pinot paste from taz to Celine, James, Shibeon and Anthony and the Israelean couple we had been talking to since we had arrived at the campsite.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb