Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
December 11th 2007
Published: February 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Sydney early on the 11th and checked into our 28-bed dorm room, and, like most people in the room, promptly fell asleep. Met up with Laura in the afternoon and went out for a meal and pub quiz in a place nearby. It being an Australian based pub we were well and truly beaten by all the other teams (except on Neighbours and Crocodile Dundee questions), but at least got some free beer by way of the booby prize (which we were obviously aiming for anyway).


The next few days were mostly wasted not doing a great deal, we were enjoying being in a city where everything was so familiar and easy. Our hostel was kind enough to put on events in the week, so we took part in their pub quiz (considerably easier than the other one - 2nd place), spent a day on Coogee Beach with a BBQ and went to a wine and cheese night in the hostel. The downfall of hostel arranged events is that they are invariably cheaply done, so the BBQ consisted of a value burger each and half a hot dog, and the wine and cheese night was cubes of cheddar and a big box of goon (cheap wine). But still, it was all free so can't complain, and the wine actually isn't that bad.


After the first week we moved out of the hostel and into a house which belonged to a colleague of Laura's cousin. The flat was great and so much easier than living in a hostel, especially one which has 27 other people in the room. Whilst here we did a few more proper touristy things, but not many. The Blue Mountains were spectacular and actually quite similar to the Grand Canyon, and the Aquarium was interesting, but hopefully we'll see most of the animals in there for real when we go diving.


On the 22nd we went to Carols in the Domain, a big event held every year in Sydney with 100,000 people singing along with minor celebrities (The Wiggles and Tina Arena) and Sydney choirs. Very pleasant evening and kind of Christmassy although it was nowhere near cold enough and there was no snow.


The day after this was Neighbours day, we went to an event where we met the stars and took part in a Neighbours quiz, and afterwards saw Doctor Karl and his band performing. The $500 quiz prize came within 2 points of being ours, which left us bitterly disappointed, especially after revising our Neighbours knowledge in the morning (we didn't know at the time that only a few of the questions would actually be about Neighbours). But not to worry, we're determined to win it next time in Melbourne.


Christmas eve, for some of us, was spent shopping for Christmas presents, before the big day to come. In the evening we went on a Harbour Cruise with free food and drinks (although not very much of either). On Christmas Day Rosie and Neil went to Coogee Beach whilst Laura went for a full roast dinner with her cousin and his friends. Christmas day on the beach was not exactly how it seems, especially when its not even slightly sunny and there is a massive queue for the communal barbecue. Still, its kind of something you have to do on Christmas day here.


Between Christmas and New Year we moved back into a hostel, although this time one with a few less people per room, and spent a few days in the sun (which had been conspicuously absent for much of the time in Oz so far) on various beaches around Sydney.


New Years Eve itself was spent as close to the Harbour Bridge as physically possible, which for us meant in front of the Opera House. A location in which we had to arrive by midday to ensure a good spot. After 12 hours wait we were expecting big things from these fireworks, and thankfully they didn't disappoint.


New Years Day was predictably quiet and on the 2nd (our last day in Sydney), we watched Australia vs. India at the Sydney Cricket Ground.


Next Stop Melbourne


more soon

Neil, Rosie and Laura

xx



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Merry ChristmasMerry Christmas
Merry Christmas

On the Harbour Cruise on Christmas Eve
CricketCricket
Cricket

Australia vs. India at the SCG


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb