Macau and Hong Kong


Advertisement
Macau's flag
Asia » Macau
December 6th 2007
Published: December 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Macau on Thursday evening (6th) and set about trying to find some accomodation. The first problem we came across was that no taxi drivers speak or read a word of English, nor, apparently can they understand maps, so they still didn't know where to take us. After a while we managed to communicate the general direction we wanted to be taken, where we came across our second problem. We arrived at a hostel recommended in the guide book, only to find that it was only for guests with a Hostel International card, which we don't have. So, another taxi in the opposite direction, took us to an area with hopefully more hostels. Here we found most places full and only one hotel with either a room with 1 bed, or a room with 5 beds. We went for the 5 bed room and also managed to find another person to fill one of the spares.

In the morning after finding a different room for the next night we started our sightseeing, but not knowing anything about Macau we mostly just wandered the streets, hoping to come across something interesting. Later on we headed to Macau tower with views
MacauMacauMacau

Our first taste of Xmas!
over the city and other islands. Macau is mostly covered with Casinos and is considered the Las Vegas of Asia, unfortunately as we are all scruffy traveller types we didn't go into any of these.

Next morning (8th) we caught the ferry to Hong Kong and planned to see all the sights in one day as Laura was leaving the following morning. We took a ride on the Star Ferry and went up to the peak for views over the island. In the evening we went for a traditional Chinese Peking Duck meal.

Next day we bid farewell to Laura (for 2 days until we caught up with her in Sydney), and spent most of the day shopping. Hong Kong felt very much like christmas at home, what with it being quite cold, and the main shops being just the same as home (M&S, H&M etc.)

On the 10th we left Hong Kong, and Asia, heading towards Australia

Next Stop Sydney

more later (not soon)

Neil, Rosie and Laura

xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Hong KongHong Kong
Hong Kong

The view over the harbour at night
Hong KongHong Kong
Hong Kong

From the Peak


21st December 2007

harbour
HK looks awesome

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb