Last few in Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
October 6th 2007
Published: October 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Shark!Shark!Shark!

Thank goodness for the glass
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff253/dj_fpb/Oct%!/(MISSING)

So we have just arrived in Brisbane yesterday. I know the blog says Sydney still, but this blog is really just an update on those days, with a teeny tiny bit about Brisbane (more on that to come).

Last Wednesday, we went to the Sydney Aquarium. Simply amazing. The Adventure Pass that we bought was definitely worth the $64 was worth it (it gets you admission to Sydney Aquarium, Wilderness World, and Sydney Tower w/ Oz Trek). There we tons of displays of coral reefs, little clown fish, salt and fresh water crocodiles (referred to as salties and freshies), and some amazing underwater tunnels which contained sharks and sea turtles in one, seals in another and various other sea dwellers in another. There were penguins, and starfish, and jellyfish. I've learned the box jellyfish is the most dangerous (I'll be watching out for those while I surf). All the displays were very informative and entertaining, with the only downside being the huge crowds that you have to sometimes fight your way through. Without an attractions pass, you're looking at about 27 AUD for entry.

That night, Charlotte and I decided we were going to get hammered and play
Salt Water CrocodileSalt Water CrocodileSalt Water Crocodile

Taken at the Sydney Aquarium
scrabble with Trent (Aussie we've met at the hostel). A box of wine, a beer, and a whole bunch of vodka and coke later, I wake up in my bed with a wicked hangover and about two hours of memory wiped clear. Ouch. I stayed in bed for that whole next day. If I moved, I felt like throwing up. Charlotte finally got me out of bed at 11pm and we went for a nice little walk around Hyde Park, which was having a photography exhibition. It was awesome because no one else was around at that time of night, but we could still walk around and see all the photo's. If I knew better, I would have taken my camera to show the beautiful scene which was Hyde Park that night. Anyway, we sat around the fountain, talked about the previous night, and went back to the hostel to go to bed.

Next day, which was our last in Sydney, we made our way over to Paddy's Markets. Think farmers market meets flea market meets HUGE! So many bargains can be found in the narrow corridors of Paddy's Markets. A good example would be the Von Dutch hat that
Me and a CrocMe and a CrocMe and a Croc

These things are massive
was going for 7 AUD. They normally go for over $70 back in Canada. We didn't stick around too long, mainly because the whole thing was very overwhelming and we wanted to get on with our day, but you could definitely spend a whole day in there. Made our way up George St. and picked up our tickets for the Justin Timberlake concert in Brisbane then journeyed over to the Sydney Tower. The view was spectacular, but otherwise, it really wasn't that exciting. Got a few good photo's, but the really good ones would have been on the SkyWalk, where you walk outside the observation deck for an hour and a half! unfortunately, it runs for about 100 AUD, so we skipped it and went over to OzTrek, which was included with our ticket. It's a "3D" visualization of different parts of Australia, finished off by a motion tour (seats move) of Australia through different era's and areas of Australia. All in all it was kind of entertaining, but not at all informative. It does make you want to see some of these spots though.

Went out for a few drinks with Trent at Scruffies that night and played Trivia
Being eatenBeing eatenBeing eaten

Charlotte in between a 'Saltie' and a 'Freshie'
where I won a free jug of beer for looking like a 'Ginger Harry Potter' and our team came in 6th over all out of 15. Go team Ramrod! Took a 2.5 hour nap and woke up at 4 to catch our flight to Brisbane. Brisbane is yet to impress me the way Sydney did, but I guess only time will tell.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

CautionCaution
Caution

I found this sign hilarious
SealSeal
Seal

Posing for the cameras
Underwater TunnelUnderwater Tunnel
Underwater Tunnel

Charlotte in one of the underwater walkways
Hyde parkHyde park
Hyde park

Taken from the observation deck of Sydney Tower
Harbour BridgeHarbour Bridge
Harbour Bridge

From Sydney Tower


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb