Happy Birthday to the Bridge


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Kings Cross
March 18th 2007
Published: March 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

United NationsUnited NationsUnited Nations

The group we started the walk with
Whilst we were in Sydney we were lucky enough to be here for the celebration of the Harbour Bridge's 75th Anniversary. As part of the celebrations our hostle had decided that everyone would dress up in their country's colours and because of this were approached by the Daily Telegraph to feature in an article. A handful attended the photoshoot which took place in Kings Cross. England, Ireland, Australia, Sweeden and Canada were all involved. They chose a picture for the article, which was entitled 'International Guests join the party' Our ugly mugs where slap bang at the front, black and white is so forgiving! There was even a quote from Jo, the article read 'Joanna Fielder from England said she had been delighted to learn she would be in own for it "This is a once-in-a-lifetime journey for us so its just going to be awesome" she said'. That morning, we had run around trying to find face paint for everyone so we could go all out with the dressing up. It Was a hit as everyone looked really great. We were sporting the usual England fans atire of flags on cheeks and St Georges flag.

To celebrate the bridges anniversary they closed it to traffic and allowed everyone to walk accross it. There were two walks, one during the day and the other in the evening. we went during the day as we had to work on reception that evening. A group of about eight went, they consisted of, England, Germany, Scotland, Spain, Sweeden and Australia. We got the train to North Sydney, painting faces on the way. When we arrived off the train we were greeted by crowds of people all making their way to the start of the walk where we were given flurescent yellow caps, which to our surprise, everyone wore. This gave a great effect as you looked over the crowds.

The walk itself was a great experience and we were glad to have done it, who knows, we may be back for he 100th!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb