Staying in Jervis Bay, NSW


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Jervis Bay
January 28th 2007
Published: January 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

SAT 28th JANUARY

Took the 3 hour drive from Sydney to Jervis Bay in our beast of a machine, the 3.6litre Holden Calais which is an absolute doddle to drive. Its basically a Vauxhall Omega but with a much bigger engine which is also an automatic…something we’re not used to and was very worried about driving. However, within the first day of driving it around Graham has got used to it no problem and is finding it a dream to drive with his back/leg problems as there is no need to constantly use the clutch because its automatic. It also has the added benefit of it having cruise control, something we’ve not had in our cars before and so as the police out here are so keen on catching speeding motorists, this eliminates the worry of going over the speed limit. By saying this, within half an hour of leaving Sydney on the Princess Highway, we were stopped by the police at one of their roadblocks for a routine random breath test. This wasn’t a problem as Graham had been drinking Sprite the night before and we were soon on our way to Jervis Bay.

After arriving at ‘Dolphin Shores Motel’ at Vincentia, Jervis Bay we were greeted by Andrew and Karen the owners who were probably the friendliest people Australia has to offer. By saying this, every Aussie we seemed to have met, in shops, restaurants and hotels have been wonderful people to get along wit and they always seem to want to chat to us which is nice and is making our holiday just that extra bit special than it already is.
We visited a National Park in Jervis Bay and came across wild parrots that were feeding on bits of bread we managed to get from a fellow tourist. Some photos of this is here on the blog.
Later that night, we went to the Stonegrill restaurant which is a good recommendation for anyone in the area and reasonably priced too.

Anyway, we only had one night at Dolphin Shores motel and we were soon on our way again driving south down the coast to our next stop….’The comfort Inn, Merimbula’. Again, the owners are so friendly and nothing seems too much trouble for them. We requested a low-floor room and have been given a family room ( rooms 12 a and 12b ) which is two rooms with an inter-connecting door which sleeps a family of five, with two kitchenettes and two bathrooms…superb!
After we unpacked, we headed into town to check out what goes on round here and also headed to one of the local beaches. It was virtually deserted and extremely picturesque indeed. We had heard about ‘squeeky sand’ by a fellow tourist but at this beach ( Short point beach ) it really does make a squeeking sound when you walk on it in bare-feet…totally weird and unusual for sure.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb