Sydney - Bundeena to Garie Hike


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Engadine
January 29th 2006
Published: January 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Sydney


Hi, me again, I thought I may as well write as this is the last day with unlimited internet access before we head up to Byron Bay.

So, I've finally been into central Sydney. I really like it, reminds me of New York but with the added bonus of the massive harbour. After a couple of weeks away from London it was nice to get back to the bustle of a city. The sea breeze makes it feel cleaner than London too. The opera house and harbour bridge lived up to expectations - beautiful! (no bridge climb yet, we'll be doing that when we get back from our road trip). We spent the afternoon pottering round the harbour before meeting up with Millsy's mate Sven and going for Kangaroo pizza (!). A bit like beef but sweeter. Then we watched the sun go down from a rooftop bar and saw clouds of bats flying overhead before heading back for the train. (no tubes, just spacious double decker trains, very efficient!)

And onto our weekend hike along the coast in the Royal National Park. We (me, Millsy and 4 of his mates) set off heavily laden with all our camping stuff. We walked along the cliffs - fantastic views of the turquoise sea. A bit like Cornwall but with smooth colourful rocks. We reached our camping beach and spent the rest of the day swimming, eating and drinking and chilling before lying on the beach watching the stars (sky seems bigger down here - and can anyone tell me why you can see Orion's Belt from both hemispheres but most of the others are different?)

The next day's hike was quite a mission - only 10k but climbing up and down cliffs in 30 degree heat. Still, it was lots of fun and this pommie sheila kept up well with the rest despite being the only chick (Los, you'd have loved it). We finished up with a swim on lovely Garie beach before heading home where we are now chilling in Millsy's back garden and about to throw some snags on the barbie...

Random Facts:-
Shark attack survival rate - 100%
Spider Sightings - 2 (giant brown one while camping, debatably a Huntsman, scared the crap out of the blokes, very funny)
Kangaroos - 0 (except in pizza form)

Hope all's well in the UK - I hear it's snowing in Kent - suckers! 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



30th January 2006

Hi again from Snowy Kent!
Wow, what a brave girlie, Huntsman spider and only the blokes were scared! Was snowing here, only a sprinkle though, but these southern softies thought it was a deluge! Take care and the journal and piccies are great, what a fabby idea! Love Tracey xx

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb