Byron Bay & Surfers Paradise


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
February 8th 2006
Published: February 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi All,

Time for the next installment! Sorry it's taken a while, I wrote it but forgot to publish, d'oh! We are on a roadtrip up the East Coast at the moment with another couple, Mike and Monique. Camping or staying in hostels all the way.

We've stopped at various places but have spent most of our time in Byron Bay and Surfers Paradise so far.

Port Macquarie was our first stop - a little seaside town where we swam, chilled out and visited a koala sanctuary - not seen any wild ones yet though.

Next stop Byron Bay which I loved. For those of you who haven't been, it's this chilled out little surfer town with a gorgeous beach and great atmosphere. Our campsite overlooked the beach and we spent most of our time there, or pottering round the little shops. We've surfed with varying degrees of success (I stood up, woohoo! Then the wave ended and I sank.) Weather has been so hot and humid with a couple of huge rainstorms (actually we're in the middle of a massive thunderstorm as I'm writing this) Most of the rainstorms happened in the night, our tents leaked and we all got soaked going to the loo in the bushes... The joys of camping! We also managed a daytrip to Nimbin (famous for its hippies and potheads) which was fun, although driving through the rainforest covered mountains of Mullimbimby National Park to get there was actually the high point of the day.

So now we're in Surfers Paradise, a complete contrast to Byron with its high rises and casinos - it reminds me of a mini Miami. The beach is miles long but with a backdrop of apartment buildings so not as nice as Byron. We're in a hostel, packed into a dorm though it does have a shower which is quite a luxury! We went on a backpackers bar crawl yesterday which was fun and have also met up with mates from London (Fi and Regan, Melissa and Matt send their love!) We've also been into the country and swam at Currumbin Rockpools - really refreshing natural pools, made a change from the sea!

So things are good, weather generally great and am getting used to the humidity. I do miss home a little, the character of London and most of all English pubs! The bars out here just don't compete (except for a couple with beer gardens on the beach).

Random Facts:-
Shark attack survival rate - 100% (beach was closed yesterday as a pack of sharks came by)
Jellyfish - hundreds of bluebottles
Koalas - lots but no wild ones
Insects - too many and too large to count
Crocodiles - 0 but will be visiting Steve Urwin's zoo this week

Got to go and brave the thunderstorm. More to follow! Aims xxxx

PS Thanks for your comments!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



18th February 2006

Looks great!
Hi Aims! Looks like you are having fun and catching the sun too, you are getting browner in the piccies! Reading "Down Under" by Bill Bryson at the mo and he talks about all the places you mention, so am getting a good idea of the place should our visa ever happen! Don't know if I like the sound of "beach closed cos sharks in the bay" nor the descriptions of the spiders you are meeting, but the rest sounds great! Speak soon, will give the address to some of kiddies at school! Love Tracey xxx

Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1677s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb