Dunno how we got to Dubbo


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Dubbo
February 9th 2006
Published: February 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

08.02.06
We were up at 2.50am to have our breakfast before walking to the train station with our oh so heavy bags. It was cool though, all the stars were still out. We caught our bus at 2.45am but instantly added a half hour because they were working on eastern time. (so that made the journey shorter!)
The trip wasn't too bad because we were able to sleep a little until about 8am and we both got 2 seats to ourselves.
We stopped off at about 9.15am at the only service station for miles in a place called Cobar. Here we met a german girl who we had already met in Broken Hill, she was driving to Dubbo.
After 10 hours we arrived in Dubbo, it was so hot. We walked to the YHA hostel and got booked in, another really nice, friendly hostel. Doubles were the same price as a dorm so great we got another private room!

We had a walk to the tourist information centre and enquired about the Plains Zoo, which was one of the main reasons for coming to Dubbo, but it is a safari type zoo which means you need a car or hire a bike, well it's so hot I don't fancy riding a bike for 5 hours in this!
Anyway we had a look around the town, which is nice.
That night we had intended to roast lots of veggies and roo suasages, but then we noticed there was no oven! So we improvised and made a casserole with gravy, which was nice.
That evening we met the german girl who we had met in Broken Hill and at the petrol station. We also met a nice german couple and a dutch girl who we chatted to and watched tv.

09.02.06
This morning we had a lazy morning and eventually went into town to have a look about. (and we looked at engagement rings! Only looked!)
We went to the internet for a couple of hours, as it's free! and I got my hair trimmed (not Andy).
After our packed lunch (that we have everyday) we went into the gaol (jail) that had been around since the 1800's and only closed in the 60's. It was really interesting there were people in there for stealing chickens, sheep, horses and for being drunk or idle! There were 8 men hung there for murder, 2 or 3 of which were probably not guilty. We spent a good hour in there, it was good.
Finally we went and got our bus/train tickets back to Sydney (we have to go back to get our flight to Brisbane, we did look at different options but this one worked out cheapest) On our way back to the hostel we walked a long the river.
That night we wanted to go to the observatory, but they weren't running any tours because there weren't enough people, so that was a bummer as it was a nice clear night. The owner of the hostel showed us the southern cross that appears on the australian flag.
After our left overs dinner we stayed up late watching tv and chatting with 3 germans, a dutch and an english guy. It was really good.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb