Put the car on cruise control...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Crescent Head
January 29th 2010
Published: January 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well if only we could put our truck on cruise control and sit back and relax, because it wouldn't have any problem finding where we are going since it's one of our regular spots...

We decided that we might as well head back up the coast and try and get a bit of surfing and relaxing in, so we left Shellharbour on Saturday and headed up towards one of our regular haunts, Crescent Head. We just happened to pick one of the hottest and busiest days to travel. It was 40+ degrees in parts of Western Sydney and around Newcastle it was 42.9 degrees. It was a scorcher! It took me awhile to get Brett to turn the air conditioning on in the truck, he was trying to save power for the fridge and blah blah blah. But think when he looked over and I was red faced, sweating and not talking, he realized now might be a good time to turn the a/c on! That was a good idea.

It was the last few days of school holidays, and a few days away from Australia Day which is always a big holiday, so the roads were packed with people trying to get away for a last long weekend. The caravan park at Crescent Head was still packed, but we had reserved back in September (which you have to for the school holiday periods, sooner sometimes for some parks!) so we got settled into our spot and were glad it was a bit cooler by then. They said it had cooled down 15 degrees in a matter of an hour in Sydney, when a Southerly blew in from Antarctica, so it must have hit a bit up here too.

Unfortunately the waves have been flat all week we have been here, so no surfing, but the weather has been great, around 33 degrees most days. A bit hot and sticky some days and a few rain and lightening storms at night, but we have had plenty of time at the beach, swimming (the water is a really nice 22 degrees), and catching up on some reading, relaxing, getting over our colds finally, and a few little jobs and repairs we needed to do to the caravan.

Australia Day started off with a rubber duck race put on by the Crescent Head Surf Lifesaving Club, which started at the bridge in the creek and finished as the creek enters the ocean. And nope, our lucky #9 rubber duck didn't pull through. Really thought we had a winner there! We spent most of the day like the others; at the beach and swimming and then made our way up to the golf club for a drink or 2 and saw a local guitar guy playing some good ol' country Aussie tunes. Our dad's would have loved it! Not quite JR Country, but pretty close. Wasn't quite our thing, but was pretty funny to watch, and we had a few moments of "Did he really just sing that??!?" when it got a bit um... let's just say un-PC (politically correct).

And now after a week here, we are just about to move on to the next destination where we will be for the next month... 10 points if you can guess where!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



8th February 2010

Sounds like u had a good Aus Day
We might have to join u next year for the Big Duck Race, we miss u guys xxxx

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0971s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb