Sandon National park and Byron Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
February 11th 2014
Published: February 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

So here we are now in Yuraygir National park at Sandon River campground, 3 days of being self sufficient!!! Darrens had lots of fun setting up the shower tent and the cube hot water system (awesome)! Another lovely sport as they all are that we have visited so far.

Perched on a sandy peninsular by the Sandon River mouth, Sandon River campground presents you with river on one side and protected ocean on the other. Not only does this mean million-dollar views, but easy access for fishing, swimming and boating.

Here we spent all 3 days on the beach, swimming, boating and Darren still hasn't caught any fish (surprise! Surprise!). We did see a sting ray washed up on the beach though, does that count, and we also saw turtles in the water, apparently up the river is a turtle sanctuary along with lots of other endangered species from the ocean.

Protected species occurring in the marine park include sharks, fish, molluscs, corals, birds, sea-turtles, whales and dolphins. The endangered grey nurse shark is found throughout the marine park, but is known to aggregate at sites at North Solitary Island, South Solitary Island and Pimpernel Rock (in the Commonwealth Marine Reserve). The threatened great white shark also occurs in this area, and individuals are occasionally sighted.





Then away from the natural beauty of Sandon to Byron Bay!!!!!





Byron Bay is a beachside town located in the far-northeastern corner of the state of New South Wales, Australia. It is located 772 kilometres (480 mi) north ofSydney and 165 kilometres (103 mi) south of Brisbane. Cape Byron, a headland adjacent to the town, is the easternmost point of mainland Australia. At the 2006 Census, the town had a permanent population of 4,981. The town is in turn the nucleus of Byron Shire, which has in excess of 28,000 residents.



The local Arakwal Aboriginal people's name for the area is Cavvanbah, meaning "meeting place". Captain James Cook named Cape Byron after John Byron, circumnavigator of the world and grandfather of the poet, Lord Byron.

At Byron we stayed at Castle beach caravan park, right on the beach, lots of surfy dodos and back packers here, the atmosphere is great!! Spent 2 nights listening to bands and drinking at The Beach Hotel, awesome awesome place, and it was here that Amy got herself starstruck!!!! They had a very talented 16yr old performing on stage, his name is Squeaky lamaire!!!! You should all check him out on youtube. After his performance she got the courage up to go and ask him to sign the cd she just bought, but also after that she took up her new Fluor long board for him to sign too (and there's more)!!!!! He added her to face book and they have been chatting!!!!!! Darren and I also took a walk to the lighthouse, The 3.7km loop leads you on a hike through rainforest and across clifftops with stunning views of the ocean and hinterland.

Byron has the most relaxing laid back atmosphere, it was great!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb