Nimbin and The Border ranges


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Nimbin
February 7th 2014
Published: March 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

It has been a while since my last blog, too busy!!!!!!! having fun!!

From byron we drove inland a little and ended up in a little place called Nimbin, (OMG)! It appears canabis is freely available here, even dealing on the streets and we were asked if we would like to buy some baked goods, (for adults only)! It sure was an eye opener. This is what Wikepedia has to say about the place. And no we didn't buy any baked goods.

Nimbin is a village in the Northern Rivers area of the Australian state of New South Wales, approximately 30 km (19 mi) north of Lismore, 33 km (21 mi) southeast of Kyogle, and 70 km (43 mi) west of Byron Bay.

Nimbin is notable for the prominence of its environmental initiatives such as permaculture, sustainability, self-sufficiency as well as the cannabis counterculture. Writer Austin Pick described his initial impressions of the village this way: "It is as if a smoky avenue of Amsterdam has been placed in the middle of the mountains behind frontier-style building facades. ... Nimbin is a strange place indeed."

Nimbin has been described in literature and mainstream media as 'the drug capital of Australia', 'a social experiment' and 'an escapist sub-culture'. Nimbin has become an icon in Australian cultural history with many of the values first introduced there by the counterculture becoming part of modern Australian culture.

From here we travelled through the Border Ranges, and took a walk through the dense rainforest and to some look outs, we also free camped in the national park for 1 night before heading off across the border into Queensland and onto Dino and Lee's place in Bahrs Scrub. It was great catching up with Dino and Lee, they were located on a 10 acre property so we camped there for a few days, a few drinks were had by all as you can imagine. Here we fed the chooks, bashed some cane toads and just generally kicked back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb