Byron Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
February 15th 2006
Published: February 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello from Byron Bay - the hippi part of the east coast!

Byron has been our home for a good two weeks and its been nice to finally settle down somewhere for a change. We have been staying in a pretty nice lodge with its own pool etc and 9 of us are staying together in an apartment which has allowed us to cut on living costs as it has its own kitchen etc etc. Over the last week or so ive become a pretty dab hand in the old kitchen, cooking up mexican meals, sweet thai chilli chicken and other gourmet meals!!

Byron is a fairly small town with one main strip leading up to the beach. Conveniently where we are staying is directly opposite one of the most popular clubs in the area called cheeky monkeys - where dancing on the tables seems to be compulsory!! Other than going out alot, we have been relaxing on the beach and even participating in a few organised beach sport competitions. Weve played in both beach football and beach volleyball competitions, failing misrably in the football but becoming champions of the volleyball!!

Byron Bay is also home to the most easternly point of australia and a lighthouse viewpoint provides stunning views,of which i will eventually get some pictures but only when the weather improves a little!!

We are also planning on taking a trip to a small village called nimbin which is apprently Byron 20 years ago - meaning even more of a hippi culture. Weve been told it definelty something we shouldnt miss as it is apprently a mind blowing culture.

Whilst we have been been here we also organised a trip to see the Australia Vs. Sri Lanka cricket final up in Brisbane. We chartered a coach and spent the day watching some good cricket but more so boosting the Sri Lankan support! The pictures give you some idea of how, but the best part was partying Sri Lankan style at the back of thestands with alltheir fans - much to the upset of a few Aussies but it was all freindly banter at the end of the day. The cricket ended in an Australian victory but half an hour or so before the end we were ejected in true pommy fashion - nothing to do with behaviour in anyway but apprently a new law was in place that day which prohibited the initiation of mexican waves due to distraction.... and i dont think they took too well to us pommies starting a 25000 people wave!!! It was all in good spirits though and there was no trouble at all.

As for our group, whilst we have been here the other 10 or so have joined us up from manly so at the moment we are back to a group of about 19-20 people. Its alot of fun and the evenings have been mad! And for those that are starting to think i have been free of injury recently I managed to roll off my bed onto the floor (from the top bunk) resulting in another few painful days!!

I hope everyone is ok. The next blog i write will probably be in surfers paradise so until then, goodbye!

P.S. Here is my new number: +61422157999


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The final hourThe final hour
The final hour

The group that watched the match finish from a pub!


15th February 2006

Message from the Moon!
Jonny looks like u r havin a quality time out there an I am very envious!also if im not 2 much mistaken ur milky skin has darkened slightly and I am sure by the end it will b golden!Sounds as though u certainly are not holding back as your injuries and burns are testament too, and I hope u continue to live it up!Uv prob mentioned b4 but just wonderin how many, if any of the 20 or so group u are in, u knew previously and are u planning on stickin to gether or is it just for a period of time?? Life is not quite so glamorous as surfing and beach parties sound where u are,and as u know an English winter is not the sunniest of places!!

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0663s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb