Surfing Trip


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
February 3rd 2006
Published: February 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Japanese ResterauntJapanese ResterauntJapanese Resteraunt

The night before leaving we went to a japanese resteaunt on the chinese new year where they cooked everything infront of you
Hello from Byron Bay,

I have just finished a 5day surf tour from Sydney up to Byron Bay which is about an hour or so away from Brisbane. There were 6 of us (our group) on the tour but we were joined by another 40 odd people so it finally gave us a chance to get to meet some new characters which was nice. We were picked up at 8am on Monday morning from Syndey and driven for a few hours up the coast to the villa type base at the surf camp. Almost as soon as we had arrived it was a case of grabbing some lunch, dropping off our bags then heading out for another drive to one of the many remote beaches where we were given our first lesson in how to stand up, paddle etc.

The first day was interesting as you can imagine but it didnt take long for us all to get use to it and within an hour or so we were pretty much all standing. After a couple of hours surf it was back to base where they held a big party. All the instructors were mad and by about 9.30 there were people being thrown into the pool, drinking games going on and alot of stupid dancing!

On the second day we were woken up around 8am so we could get out for a whole days surfing, not the best thing when we were all nursing pretty heavy hangovers! However, we managed to rescue the barrel of sangria and by 10, us typical english took to the old hair of the dog method! Looking back it was pretty silly as when the hangover kicked in we were all surfed out and fell asleep on the beach which once again resulted in severe sun burn for me and a couple of others meaning the next day i could hardly walk let alone surf! The day also ended in another hospital trip for me as i got hit full pelt in the mouth by a surfboard taking a chunk out of my lip! Luckily i didnt need stiches but it was a pretty nasty wound and ironically i was using the 'rescue' surf board! Typcial me!

The next day was another full day, however we were all loaded onto a coach as we started to travel up towards Kempsey and Coffs Harbour. We stopped off at a couple of secluded beaches which took a walk through the bush to get to but it meant we had the whole coastline to ourselves!

On Thursday we were driven up to a national park where we set up camp for the night. It was a 30 second walk to the beach, again through the bush meaning we had another golden beach to ourselves. The lessons were all short and sweet so we got alot of free time and the evenings were very interesting especially with the surfing instructors being as crazy as they were!!!

On Friday morning it was a case of getting out for a surf in the morning, back in for lunch then they held a mini surf competition between us all. Unfortuneatly many of us in the burns department couldnt particpate but it was still alot of fun and we all had a great time.

After the days surfing we were then driven on the final leg of the tour up to Byron Bay where we finally got to check in to hostels, shower and re-organise! That night everyone on the surf camp went for a mexican meal where there was a small presentation etc and then we all went on to a club called cheeky monkeys - a mad bar where dancing on the tables was compulsory!!

All in all the week was great fun, a definite reccomendation as the times out of the water were just as good as the times in! The guys who ran it were all care-free young surfers who were all about having fun so nothing was too serious. It also gave us a chance to eat properly for the first time!

Now, the plan is to stay in Byron Bay for a good week or so and we have mangaged to get hold of a big apartment within one of the hostels where we are staying with a few other people we have met along the way.

Hope everyone is ok!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

National Park Walk - SurfingNational Park Walk - Surfing
National Park Walk - Surfing

When we went for a walk in the national park
Kanagroos!Kanagroos!
Kanagroos!

A little dark but this is the boss of the park!


8th February 2006

Hey Jon, you look as if you are having an awsome time- making me sooooo excited! Cant wait to be there! Have fun Jonny Boy!!!Helena xxxxxxxx
11th February 2006

aww jonny u lucky thing!wow that surf camp looks awesome...u recommed it yer?aww wud be quality if we saw u out there!when du leave again? keep having fun!haha - u look like u're loving it! ;)xxxxxxxxx
18th February 2006

lucky buggar!
look slike your having a wicked time.. so jealous of you- lovin the blog thing and hope to hear of you soon.. take care love you lots- love to nick too.. toodles xx

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb