Beautiful Door County, Wisconsin


Advertisement
North America
September 18th 2007
Published: September 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Cana Island LighthouseThe Cana Island LighthouseThe Cana Island Lighthouse

This is the most photographed lighthouse in Wisconsin.
Beautiful doesn't begin to describe this area. Door County is the tip of the peninsula east of Green Bay, Wisconsin. Praised by travel writers and visitors from around the world, Wisconsin's Door Peninsula is home to five state parks, ten lighthouses, and over 300 miles of shoreline and is one of our nation's most beautiful spots . This 75-mile long county combines pristine scenery with acclaimed performing arts! Right up our alley ! There are renowned galleries and shops, fabulous cuisine and delightful accommodations throughout this entire area. The seaside villages of Fish Creek, Bailey's Harbor, Egg Harbour, Ephraim, and Sister's Bay just to name a few, offer great shopping and dining, hiking, biking, fishing, boating and sightseeing. We were enchanted by the shorline setting of the Peninsula Player's Theatre, with cocktails in the beachfront garden before the show. This theatre is home to America's oldest professional residential summer theater. We saw "Be My Baby", a broadway play, showing for the summer. We were fortunate to attend the last showing of this play for the summer in the newly remodelled playhouse. Sitting outside before the play having a glass of wine in the playhouse garden and enjoying the sunset along the beachfront was pretty nice as well.

This is apple and cherry country. A visit to Grandmas Swedish Bakery for her homemade pecan cinnamon rolls was a must do on our list. Many wineries offer fine wines along with other products such as olive oil, flavored vinegars, candies, ice creams and other fruit related products made in this area.

Every small village has a marina with lots of activity going on all the time. Fishing and boating charters are available upon request.

Also, don't miss the local fish boil every night somewhere in the county. It is interesting to see the way they cook the fish by boiling water then pouring kerosene over the top to burn off the fat. The fire flares quite high and is a spectacular sight. The food is then removed from the pot and served. Quite delicious!

If you ever come to Wisconsin, you must come to Door county. As far as we are concerned, it is the jewel of the state.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Overlooking the Ocean from the Theatre GardenOverlooking the Ocean from the Theatre Garden
Overlooking the Ocean from the Theatre Garden

What a treat! A beautiful sunset before the play.
The Peninsula Players TheatreThe Peninsula Players Theatre
The Peninsula Players Theatre

This is a beautiful new playhouse situated on the beach with an outside garden. What a way to watch the sunset ! It's almost showtime !
The Fish BoilThe Fish Boil
The Fish Boil

This was an experience. Our first fish boil. Fish, corn, potatoes and all the spices were placed in a large kettle over the fire. Then kerosene is poured over the kettle, burns completely off, no residue left behind and voila ! Fish boil !
Grandma's Swedish BakeryGrandma's Swedish Bakery
Grandma's Swedish Bakery

You MUST go to Grandma's Swediah Bakery at Wagon Wheel for freshly made pecan cinnamon rolls every morning! Each roll is about 4 inches high and half the size of a dinner plate! One of these and a good cup of Java will get you going in a big way !
 Where did my husband go??? Where did my husband go???
Where did my husband go???

I can't believe it ! He shaved his head ! I guess he took it seriously when he heard "Never get a hair cut out of town" !


Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 5; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb