Propositioned by Dolly on the Streets of Ketchikan


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
May 30th 2017
Published: June 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

We rose with some port sounds outside, and took our time making our way to the Lido where throngs of people were already waiting in long lines at their favorite stations, waiting for Eggs Benedict, or Waffles, or Scrambled/Fried Eggs, or Omelets; and, others were just trying to squeeze between people in line to get some dried cereal, pastries, yogurt, juice or other items not requiring a substantial wait. More than a couple people in my Omelet line gave up and settled for a Danish instead. Sharon waited in the waffle line, and then asked for a few chocolate chips and the server must have poured half a pound of chocolate onto her waffle. We ate outside by the pool and had a wonderful view of the town and hills rising to snowcapped peaks. Sharon couldn’t remember seeing snow on the local mountains. Along the waterfront street were the very prominent, in your face so you can’t miss them diamond and jewelry merchants. Prominent on the corner next to Diamonds International (DI) was Tanzanite International (TI), and tanzanite really must be one of the commodities really pushed here in Ketchikan, at least I infer that from yesterday’s commercial during Bingo.



We had our picture taken with the bald eagle of Ketchikan as we got off the ship; and, then we took our own pictures by the Liquid Sunshine Monolith. We were trying to decide what we should do, and were leaning towards walking over to Creek Street. All of a sudden we hear, “No, no, no, no. You get back on that curb.” An exasperated woman pedestrian officer decked out in her lemon-yellow safety garb continued, “Yes I’m talking to you.” That didn’t seem to deter the heavy-set dude in his corduroy jacket, as he stepped back into the street after briefly hopping back on the curb. “No, no, no. Don’t make me come over there to tell you what a cross walk is!” That seemed to catch the guys attention and got back on the curb looking around with that “I wonder who she’s yelling at body language.” Sharon looked at me and said, “I guess we’d better use the crosswalk.”



When we got to the next corner we spotted a business called Ketchi-Candies. Sharon noted this was the place that we couldn’t find on a previous cruise; where, the cruise director had said that the chocolate covered Oreos they sold were his favorite treat. And he’d also mentioned that if anybody wished to give him some, they would be most appreciated (and that it might even be worth a bonus point or two in Team Trivia). Signs clearly marked the way to Creek Street where a wooden boardwalk surrounded and interconnected buildings, and formed points from which to view the creek with its plentiful water supply rushing over the rocks approaching the Creek Street buildings. I took a picture of a giant steelhead salmon appearing to jump above the waters of “Fish Creek”; which, is in fact a large sculpture. Towards the back of the town was “Married Man’s Path”, a circuitous route off the main commerce of Creek Street that wound its way to Dolly’s Place, the infamous brothel in Ketchikan. We headed back to the main boardwalk up Creek Street. Farther along the boardwalk we came across Dolly’s Place, where the sign proclaimed, “The Place Where Men and Salmon Come Upstream to Spawn”. We noted the sign by the entrance that tours were available for $10. As we passed, I hear, “Hey there, Big Boy, do you want to take my tour?” I smiled, and Sharon asked if I didn’t want to go inside. “Come on, let me show you what I got.” And as an added incentive she began doing a circa-1920’s flapper dance in her flowing gown, alternately thrusting her bent knees apart and then back together, moving her hands in rhythm to alternately reveal and then hide her frilly undergarments. “My grandmother taught me this dance,” she assured us. Leaving Creek Street, we crossed to see the marina and mouth of Ketchikan Creek, which we’d learned yesterday was once called fish creek. We saw no salmon here today; although, we expect to in a few weeks when we return. When we were here on our first trip to Alaska together it was at the tail end of the salmon run, and there were dead and dying salmon everywhere.



We made a beeline for the Ketchi-Candies and went into a corner boutique where we were awed by ample glass cases of chocolates. Sharon found the chocolate covered Oreos, featuring bags covered with milk, dark and white chocolate. I was drawn to some almond dark chocolate bark. We made our purchase and headed back to the Zaandam. We passed a window display featuring all furry things, and Sharon asked if I wanted her the get one of “them”. It was a male model manikin wearing furry cod piece. Lots of people were stopping to take pictures. We continued on to the ship where many people were still disembarking when we re-boarded. We went up to the Lido to have lunch, and Sharon went with her favorite roast turkey. I had the Dive-In Cannonball Burger with gouda cheese and bacon.



We stopped by the Exploration Lounge to play our daily Sudoku and Sharon is still getting her sea-legs when it comes to marking these puzzles by hand (with pen). I went back to the cabin to write some more in the blog and Sharon went out to enjoy the beautiful day on deck.



I stopped by the Culinary Arts Center for the presentation on Asian Dumplings, and I did learn a thing or two; but, at the end they didn’t even have any samples for those in the audience to try. How lame is that? I met Sharon up in the Crow’s Nest, and our team came to five when Barry, Michelle and Angie arrive.



Sharon immediately wrote down the first answer to “What is the name of the Paris Hall featuring bright lights and spectacular shows with a slightly naughty slant?” She wrote down Moulin Rouge. It was in fact Follies Bergiere. And we didn’t know the profession of Gandhi. Sharon wrote down “farmer” which was one of our teammates guesses; but, the man was a lawyer; which, thinking back to the movie, we should have both known. But Angie did know where Mozart was born in 1756! And our other teammate knew that it was the town where the von Trapps were from in Sound of Music. Salzburg. I offered Hudson for the first English explorer to lead an expedition in the New World. It was instead John Cabot. The one that perhaps hurt the most was not knowing the name of Captain Hook’s ship in Peter Pan. I feebly offered Sea Witch (I may have the wrong pirate here). The correct answer was obviously Jolly Roger which Sharon had written down but didn’t think that was it. The women spent quite a bit of time trying to come up with the last name of Desmond and Molly from the Beatles Oo Bla de Bla Da. Sharon finally came up with Jones which was right. We were eight full points off the leaders; so, we’re not getting more competitive.



Sharon went off to the 5PM mass and I remained in the cabin to write up today’s blog (and right now I’m current for the first time since the beginning of our stay in Oregon). Sharon said the priest gave a very good sermon and mentioned her lived in Ohio about 25 miles north of Wright Patt. She talked to him after the mass and he had previously been assigned to one of the churches near our old one. He also knew that our old parish had built a large new church (which was in progress when we moved but finished since then). He’s hoping to get an assignment for a Baltic cruise this fall so we could see him again then. We went to dinner and wound up at our same table as the night before; but, with new dining partners. I asked Sharon to get the salad for me again. I ordered the soft-shell crab appetizer, as did several of those dining with us. It was quite good. The guy dining with us who had already been seated by the window had ordered it as well; but, he was concerned saying “I’m not sure how you’re supposed to eat this.” “Just cut it up and pop it in your mouth,” I told him. I also had the shrimp corn chowder which I enjoyed as well. Many had the prime rib entrée, as did Sharon; but, I ordered the halibut dish. Four years ago, when we went with our mothers to Alaska, one of my comments was disappointment that halibut wasn’t served. Two years ago, and again this year, we’ve had halibut, and it’s been quite good. Sharon and I both enjoyed the crème Brule for dessert. I also ordered the after-dinner cordial, and am starting a new collection of the six sea-faring themed shot glasses. I’ve got three so far, and three to go.



We went to see Carl Strong at the 8PM show in the Mondriaan Lounge. He gave a very funny performance, mostly on the tribulations of getting old, and had a great rapport with the audience. He also performs in Las Vegas, and we may have to find out where. I headed back to the cabin after the show; while, Sharon made a beeline for Fisherman Bob where she ended up ahead $10 for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.562s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 17; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb