Enjoying Verde Valley For The Holidays


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
December 8th 2014
Published: December 24th 2014
Edit Blog Post

SedonaSedonaSedona

Airport Vista
We arrive at Verde Valley in November. It reminds us of a beautiful Fall Day in our hometown Akron, Ohio this time of year. Or maybe it's more like my adopted hometown of Fort Mill, SC (where I retired from.) The Sycamore trees are in gold regalia and you can see the yellow trees in the valley meander along the Verde River that runs through the mountains.

We decide on a Saturday to visit the petroglyphs at V-V Cultural Heritage Site. Instead of taking the drive through Sedona that we took years ago with Sandy & Bruce, Tom sees another road on the map that looks much closer. Off we go. We turn onto a dirt road. It looks like a short drive. 10 miles down this road a sign tells us we are halfway there! Okay, 20 miles on a washboard-dirt road was not what we planned for. By the time we arrive, it is closed for the day. The following weekend we make another trip. It is a flat one-half mile hike back to the petroglyph site.

Since our visit to V-V a few years ago, the archeology department at the University of Arizona has determined that the petroglyphs present a solar calendar! It is very similar to one at Chaco Canyon. So, on December 21st we go back to witness the sunlight create a dagger that shines on the solar calendar petroglyphs depicting the sun, time for corn planting, harvesting, monsoon season, animal migrations, etc. Fantastic to hear the explanation from the docent.

We also visit Tuzigoot National Monument, an ancient pueblo site built by the Sinagua round A.D. 1000. Its similarity to Myan structures is mind boggling.

Tom is teaching me photography beyond "point and shoot." We took the tripod and all our gear and drove to Sedona for some night shots. Unfortunately, a tourist fell off a rock and hit her head minutes before nightfall. 911 was called and the EMS had its lights going. Anyway, I've included some sunset pictures that aren't chopped liver (in my humble opinion..HA!)

We're nestled in here until January 1 when we will travel down the mountain to Happy Trails RV Resort in Surprise, AZ. Blessings from us to you this Christmas season and good health in 2015!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

V-V RanchV-V Ranch
V-V Ranch

Petroglyphs
Docent at V-VDocent at V-V
Docent at V-V

Explains solar calendar


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0989s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb