California to Texas - Fall 2009


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
October 15th 2009
Published: September 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Route 66Route 66Route 66

The main street in Williams, Arizona, is Old Route 66.
Adios, California. On our way to Dallas, we made stops in a Burger King rest area (don’t you hate that King character?), Williams, Arizona (almost got evacuated due to a wildfire), Albuquerque, New Mexico (during Balloon Fiesta so rates were double), and Amarillo, Texas.

On I-40 in eastern New Mexico, a tractor-trailer hauling marble slabs decided to pass us-- when a chunk of marble broke off his load. Of course, the marble hit the side of our coach with a loud thunk. At first we didn’t realize what happened. When we stopped to check, the damage was apparent. We hauled a$$ and while trying to catch up with the rig, we called 911 to report the situation to the state police. An hour or so later, after both vehicles and the state police officer shared information, we were on our way.

Bottom line, we were extremely lucky the marble didn’t come in the front windshield. The damage was repaired in Dallas, and our insurance company is still trying to finalize the subrogation with the other company.

It’s always good to spend time with son Dan and girlfriend Megan in Denton. Diane went to UNT’s homecoming game with them.
Smoky HighwaySmoky HighwaySmoky Highway

Approaching Williams, AZ. There was some concern we would be evacuated from the RV park later that day.
Stephen flew into Dallas on business, so we got to see him again, too. We bought Italian sausage and Parmesan Reggiano at Jimmy’s Food Store (our favorite Italian market in Dallas), and found a great Lebanese restaurant in Arlington, Prince of Lebanon. Next, we'll head to Florida for the winter.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Lava FieldsLava Fields
Lava Fields

At Sunset Crater National Monument in Arizona
Funny TruckFunny Truck
Funny Truck

This unusual camper was parked at the Grand Canyon
Grand Canyon photoGrand Canyon photo
Grand Canyon photo

Everyone has to pose for a photo in front of the Grand Canyon.
MoronMoron
Moron

Some idiot trying to take that perfect photo.
Canyon ViewCanyon View
Canyon View

One of our favorite places - the National Parks


Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0941s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb