America - West Coast


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
July 21st 2007
Published: August 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Highway 1Highway 1Highway 1

The Mooos...Tang
21st July - LA. Just about as far away in people and culture as you can get from Fiji.
We had decided to spend as little time in LA as possible. We did the usual trip down to Hollywood, the boulevard, Hooters etc. Myself and Adi had decided that we were going to head down to San Diego, so we hired a car and off we went.
Driving in the States is interesting, big cars, big motorways and they drive on the wrong side of the road..
We arrived in San Diego in the late afternoon, a lovely place, very colourfull, especially as it was the last day of the pride festival. It was also a comic conference which drew 150,000 people in. This made finding a room a bit difficult. We decided to stay for 3 days as we couldn't get a room any longer, shame.
That night we went for a meal in the Italian quarter and spent the next couple of days going out and wandering around the gas light district. All the random photos of me with strange people were from there !
It certainly had character..
After San Diego we decided to head to Palm Springs for some heat and Adi's birthday, boy was it hot, well over a 100 all day. We stayed in a very nice hotel with everything you could want including 5 pools, a golf course, shopping centre etc..
I managed to get food poisining and spent 36 hours dying in the toilet, not great..
After 3 days in Palm Springs we headed back to LA, in another hire car, to watch Beckham. He was there but not playing. Not like i haven't seen him play before. The LA Galaxy played Chivas, a Mexican side, who outnumbered the Galaxy supporters by 20 to 1. There are quite a few a few Meicans in LA !!
From LA, we decided to hire a convertable and go to Las Vegas for my birthday for 8 days, yes 8 days.
A tip - never go to Vegas for 8 days !
We spent the 1st 4 days in the MGM Grand and the last 4 days in the Mirage. The idea was to split it up to feel like we were having 2 holidays. We managed to take it easy for the 1st night. After that it was just survival. We had lots of good
San DiegoSan DiegoSan Diego

Americans - bless em..
nights out and a great time, most of which can't be put in this blog !!
On the last night we went to a show which was incredible - cirque to Solleille with the Beatles music.
6th August - Met Trisha & hired another Mustang convertable and drove from Vegas to Santa Barbara (just avove LA). We spent the next 4 days driving up the Highway 1 stopping in San Luis Obispo, Santa Cruz and then up to San Fransisco. Not a great deal to say about it except it was all about de tox, recovery, sleep, getting sunburnt on the lovely coastal roads and relaxing..
Friday 10th Aug - Time to be a tourist, we drove over the Golden Gate bridge (or the Ginger Bridge as Adi would say!) To be fair its a bridge, what else can you say. We went out for a nice meal and a few drinks.
Saturday - we got a cable car to the Fishermans wharf to see Alcatraz and in the evening had a very big night out in a great club, called Booty or something like that.
Sunday - Big hang over and a baseball game. We went to see The Giants who are the local team & are bloody awfull, loosing 6 nil or something like that. We did get to see the famous Barry/ Billy Bonds play - Who had just become the all time home run record holder. Whatever.. Its a big deal for the Americans. Even if he was known to take steroids..
It was a nice day though, sat in the sun watching rounders. Certainly not United away at Wigan on a wet and windy Monday night in November..
Monday - Yosemite - A long long day. 5 hours on a coach there , 3 hours in the national park and 5 hours drive back. It was however worth it, the place was pretty special. It was impressive, as national parks go !!
The West coast had been fun, i think we saw most of what we wanted to see. It was also starting to feel like i was heading home, which is both good and bad.
Tuesday 14th Aug - Adi flew to New York and it was time for me to head to Texas to meet up with an old friend, Rocky....



Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

VegasVegas
Vegas

small lunch
 Vegas - Mirage Hotel Vegas - Mirage Hotel
Vegas - Mirage Hotel

Night before Birthday..
VegasVegas
Vegas

Meat heads
VegasVegas
Vegas

Trisha
Las Vegas..Las Vegas..
Las Vegas..

Revolution Bar
Las Vegas..Las Vegas..
Las Vegas..

Bare - At the Mirage
VegasVegas
Vegas

Adi, Catherine & Ben from Fiji
VegasVegas
Vegas

Tacky ?


Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb