Top 5 Places to Snorkel in the US


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
May 29th 2019
Published: May 29th 2019
Edit Blog Post

One of the best activities that you can do during your holiday is definitely snorkeling. Just being able to observe the underwater world should be enough to spur your imagination, but when you add to the mix the fact that the best snorkeling destinations are often found near great places on a coast, there is simply no reason why you shouldn’t try it.

Also, it’s really great that snorkeling doesn’t require any particular skills (apart from being able to swim, obviously) and that you don’t have to break the bank to buy expensive equipment that would allow you to have a fantastic time. Embraced by the Pacific and the Atlantic, the USA has some of the best destinations in the world and we’ve prepared just five of them, although the list could (and should) be much longer.


Block Island, Rhode Island



Block Island is easily reachable with a 45-minute ferry ride south from mainland Rhode Island. Many people refer to it as the “Bermuda of the North”, mainly because of reefs galore. They provide shelter to all sorts of fish and you can see them enjoying their life there. Since the continental shelf is short, you’ll have good visibility, which is one of the most important things when you go snorkeling. However, you have to make sure you go there in the height of summer, since for most people, the water temperature is too low even during the summer months. Visiting Block Island at any other time simply doesn’t make sense.

Crystal River, Florida



Just two hours west of Orlando, on Florida’s gulf coast , lies Crystal River, a much warmer place for snorkeling. This destination is particularly famous for allowing the locals and visitors alike to swim with manatees, especially in the winter, when their numbers rise significantly. Seeing these remarkable creatures in their natural habitat is most certainly one of the things you’ll remember for the rest of your life. Still, there’s more to Crystal River than just manatees. As you take a boat ride to the manatee spot, you can enjoy seeing birds, fish and other wildlife.

Santa Catalina, Florida



Only 26 miles off the coast of the famous Long Beach in California, you can find one of the most popular snorkeling destinations in the US. This island is simply a paradise for those who enjoy underwater adventures. Those experienced can freely enjoy the location, while you can also join a guided snorkeling tour during the day or night. Just remember to get yourself a great full face snorkel mask to be able to make the most of the experience. If you’re looking for the greatest spots on the island, look no further than Lover’s Cove and Casino Point. Whichever you choose, you’ll be able to enjoy seeing many fish and other fabulous undersea habitats.


La Jolla, California



It comes as no surprise that a location in California has made it to this list. Regardless of whether you’re into seals, leopard sharks, sea urchins or sea lions, La Jolla will cater to your wishes. It’s recommended you take a guided snorkeling tour and let your guide take you to the clearest spots underwater, so that you can marvel at the world from a completely different perspective. Also, guides are known for teaching people the “
">Stingray Shuffle”, which is an unconventional method of entering the water. If this sounds tempting, wait no more; book a flight to California and make La Jolla part of your itinerary.

Kankakee, Illinois



You may not associate snorkeling with Illinois, but it sure does have an ace up its sleeve. Haigh Quarry in Kankakee, Illinois is a rather popular destination, called the “Caribbean of Midwest”. That means that apart from exploring coldwater fish, you can also check out some of the oldest boats and farm equipment. For those looking for a snorkeling adventure with a twist, this might well be the perfect spot.



Needless to say, there is no best destination for snorkeling, not in the US, nor in the world. It depends on what you’re after and what makes you excited. There is also the element of your experience and health condition, which has to be good enough so that you can fully enjoy this great adventure.
1600x1066 (0x0) 564.24 <abbr title="Kibibyte: 1 KiB = 2^10 (1024) bytes" data-ir-ext-unit="">KiB</abbr>

Advertisement



Tot: 0.357s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0651s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb