The Ultimate Family Travel Guide to Taipei


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Taipei
June 29th 2019
Published: June 29th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Are you planning your first family vacation? Well, Taiwan is a great destination to start with! Taipei, the capital, is an amazing city that has so much to offer to all generations of travelers, as long as you know how to organize your vacation. In case you have no idea what you’re doing, here’s a little family guide to Taipei.

Go between November and April



Just like the majority of East Asian countries, Taiwan has a subtropical climate that’s very hard to endure for foreigners. The best time to visit with children is definitely between November and April when the weather is relatively dry and pleasant. Avoid going around Chinese New Year since nothing really stays open during that important holiday (January 25 in 2020).

How to get around



Public transport in Taipei is very easy to navigate and very cheap. If you grab an EasyCard, you can use it in stores as well which is very practical. Also, cabs are practically everywhere and they are cheap and easy to find. Cabbies are kind, patient and willing to help with diaper bags and strollers. If you find a driver you really like, you can even get their business card so you can plan your trip with them in advance.

Stay somewhere convenient



Luckily, there’s no shortage of great accommodation in Taipei no matter if you’re traveling solo or with your entire family. There are also amazing websites to help you find a good Taipei hotel (台北酒店) that will welcome you and your family in style. When you’re traveling solo, hostels are good and cost-effective options, but kids won’t do very well in such a hectic environment, so hotels are a much better alternative. Also, no matter which neighborhood you choose, you’ll be in the right place, because the public transport is great and there’s always something interesting to see.

Visit Ximending (西門町)



This is definitely one of the most interesting neighborhoods in the city. Although it’s known for its lively nightlife, there are also many things you can do during the day with your family. Ximending is filled with shops, fun cafes and restaurants and interesting boutiques. What kids will love the most are gallons of bubble tea, colorful street art and flashing neon lights! Also, don’t miss a chance to eat at the Modern Toilet Restaurant—a novelty eatery where everything is toilet-inspired. You will find that nothing entertains kids more than toilet humor, so make a fun little outing out of that place.

Visit the Taipei Zoo (台北動物園)



Taipei has one of the biggest and best zoos in Asia and your kids are guaranteed to love the place. It’s filled to the brim with all sorts of Asian and African animals as well as marine fauna. Plus, there are all kinds of shuttles that can take you to the zoo and the admission is very affordable (even free for pre-schoolers). Pro tip: Take a shuttle to take you uphill to the top of the zoo so you can go down slowly and without getting too tired.

Hike up the Xiangshan (象山)



Xiangshan or Elephant Mountain hike is a perfect activity for every active family. This hike is super sort yet challenging, so you’ll be rewarded in many ways when you manage to climb up. The hike is only 20 minutes long, but it involves many steps. Luckily, viewing points and rest stops are frequent so you’ll be able to enjoy the views of the city as you make your ascent. When you get to the top, you’ll get the best views of Taipei, Taipei 101 and other city’s attractions. Best times to go hiking are the sunrise and sunset, just remember to bring water and some quality bug spray since mosquitoes are relentless.



Once you visit East Asia, you’ll instantly fall in love. So, expect to come back to Taipei (or any other East-Asian city) once your kids get a little older, so that you can experience its other more adult attractions.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb