Williamsburg to United Methodists Church Willet


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia
May 16th 2018
Published: May 16th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Today’s Route

Approximate route today



Today was sweltering hot!
About 90+ degrees and 90% humidity.

After stopping in Jamestown settlement for a quick walk through, I rode about 40 miles and stopped in to meet a fellow Veteran named Henry Hays (picture below) .
Henry is the Commander of the American Legion Post 61, 3rd district of Virginia. He served in Turkey in the 1960’s.

What a great human being. I thoroughly enjoyed our lunch, and he picked up the tab! Thanks Henry!

After lunch I rode the next 25 miles with another adventure seeker named Tom Galka.

We found out we had a lot in common. Tom is a retired software engineer from IBM. He also had the Trans Am on his bucket list. We will probably ride together tomorrow as well.

Although I had made reservations and planned on spending the night in Charles City, I wasn’t ready to call it a day. Tom told me about the United Methodist Church in Willet that welcomed Bicyclists.

What a great piece of advice. Once we arrived, David, ( picture below) opened the Church up for us where we had a warm shower and will sleep between the
Jamestown FortJamestown FortJamestown Fort

The early settlers had to build a fort to protect them from the Native Americans who were not at all happy that they were there.
pews in air conditioning.
The Church is located right smack in the middle of one of the most horrific battles grounds of the Civil War called the battle of Richmond. It was actually a seven day battle where over 5000 Union and Confederate Solders lost their lives.
I have included pictures of one of the largest battle sites called the Battle of Mavern Hill.

At Mavern Hill we met a couple of scientists from Virginia Technology who were studying Bats. There is a disease called White-Nose syndrome that is acquired while they are in caves. It is killing the bats in droves.

Nick and Kiera are trying to figure out why! I’m sure they will.

I met a lot of new folks and they all were terrific people.

All in all, it was a great first day!





Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

colonial Parkwaycolonial Parkway
colonial Parkway

This goes from Yorktown, through Williamsburg to Jamestown. (Note the Canadian Geese and chicks)
Jamestown MonumentJamestown Monument
Jamestown Monument

Erected in 1957 to commemorate America’s first settlement. The National Park is located on the exact spot where Jamestown actually existed. Although it is mostly ruins, it is fascinating to see where the exact place was. It was rather swampy and full of flys.
The Richmond Williamsburg bicycle trailThe Richmond Williamsburg bicycle trail
The Richmond Williamsburg bicycle trail

This bicycle trail goes between Williamsburg and Richmond. About 12 feet wide and smooth pavement all the way!
Malvern Hill BattlegroundMalvern Hill Battleground
Malvern Hill Battleground

Major battle in the Civil War where a combined 5000 Confederate and Union Soldiers died!
American Legion Commander Henry HaysAmerican Legion Commander Henry Hays
American Legion Commander Henry Hays

This wonderful gentleman bought me lunch. It was a pleasure meeting him.
Keira Zwirne  and Nick KarenKeira Zwirne  and Nick Karen
Keira Zwirne and Nick Karen

These two gentlemen are scientists from Virgina Tech studying Bats.
My new best Pal Tom GalkaMy new best Pal Tom Galka
My new best Pal Tom Galka

Tom and I met up at the 40 mile point and rode the last 20 miles together. It was good to have companionship.
David opened up the Church for us.David opened up the Church for us.
David opened up the Church for us.

He also droves us up to the Market so we could get a couple of subs and a six pack. Those who know me know I like a good Ale to finish the day. David is a wonderful human being!
Willet United Methodist ChurchWillet United Methodist Church
Willet United Methodist Church

An Oasis in the wilderness. There is nothing out here! The Church Members have eagerly embraced hosting Bicyclists. Last night the Adventure Cycling Group was here. I’m very glad we were a day behind them! Sharing one shower with 20 people would be a crowd!


16th May 2018

Awesome!
What an awesome first day! You’re definitely off to a good start. Have fun!!
16th May 2018

OK Day
Bob - Looks like your hooking up with some great folks. And making progress,
16th May 2018

A great first day!
What a great first day! I look forward to reading your blog every day, knowing you are safe, and hearing about this major adventure! There are such good people in the world! You will encounter so many of them that it will change your life forever!!! Enjoy!
16th May 2018

Living the dream!
Bob--Sure looks and sounds like it's all good so far. Love that you're getting a daily history lesson out of this!
16th May 2018

great start
This is starting off so good!!! Oh the people you are meeting!!! What a wonderful experience!!!! Oh the places you will go and the people you will meet...this is tremendous. Bravo!!!!!

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb