Hot and Steamy


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Ashland
May 16th 2018
Published: May 16th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Route today


Tom took his turns at the front.Tom took his turns at the front.Tom took his turns at the front.

Narrow wet roads. The good news was that all the drivers were very polite.
Today started out poorly and really was a challenge most of the day.

My fancy new Garmin 1030 would not work at all. Long story but the Garmin Guy basically told me the software was corrupted and the best option is to dump everything and start over!!!
Well...... I had 78 days of carefully planned routes in there and no way to put them back in!

The good news is that I loaded and threw in my old Garmin 1000 just in case!

Yahoo! So I was back up and running!

Tom, my new acquaintance and I rode all day together to Ashland in “on and off” rain! It was so hot and steamy that neither of us wore any rain gear with the exception of my shoe covers.

The glasses got so fogged up we went without most of the day.

Not a lot of highlights but we did stop at the Cold Harbor Civil War battleground and it was really a great stop.

It is hard for me to imagine living on the ground where these battles occurred, but in fact the ground covered was so vast most everywhere was occupied or
Civil War gravesCivil War gravesCivil War graves

Hundreds of markers. Each was numbered with a State. All Northern so they must have been Union Army. We really wondered if there is a log somewhere matching numbers to names.
fought over at some time in one battle or another.

We met and chatted with a fascinating fellow. The Park Ranger Mike Gorman was an encyclopedia of Civil War knowledge. I wanted to stay longer, but a phrase coined by Ken Hartman, “ these bikes don’t ride themselves” finally compelled us to go back in the rain and get to Ashland.

That Motel 6 was really great to see.

Dry at last!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Interesting sign!Interesting sign!
Interesting sign!

Especially considering what was behind it!
Map showing how both Cold Harbor battles took placeMap showing how both Cold Harbor battles took place
Map showing how both Cold Harbor battles took place

We did stop at the Cold Harbor Civil War battleground and it was really a great stop. We got out of the rain for awhile and there was a light actuated map showing exactly how the two separate battles occurred. The first was in 1882 between McClellan and Lee and the second between Grant and Lee. Both times the Union was hoping to end the War by capturing Richmond. Both times the Confederate’s fought with all their might and repelled the Union Army. There was a horrific loss of lives in both battles.
Ranger Mike GormanRanger Mike Gorman
Ranger Mike Gorman

Ranger Gordon had an encyclopedic knowledge of the Civil War. We could have stayed there all day.
Finally arrived in AshlandFinally arrived in Ashland
Finally arrived in Ashland

Happy to finally get out of the rain!


17th May 2018

Garmin Trouble
Seems to me you had Garmin trouble a couple of years ago on B2B !! Good luck. Improvise Adapt and Overcome.
17th May 2018

Garmin trouble.
Not so sure about these computers. I’m glad I brought the maps.
18th May 2018

Great & Mighty Things Thrift Store
It was a pleasure to meet you today! Our thrift store staff will continue to keep you in prayer along your journey! We love our traveling friends stop back in anytime we are always happy to share our snacks and refill water ;-)
20th May 2018

Hi Susan
Thanks for being such a caring and giving individual. It would have been fun to chat longer.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb