The sand between your toes


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Virginia Beach
August 10th 2014
Published: August 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

King NeptuneKing NeptuneKing Neptune

Virginia Beach
After a time, you find yourself longing for it. You know its not that far away, but it seems that way. You’re all caught up in the hustle and bustle of everyday life, but in quieter moments, you think about it. Its call cannot be ignored. You have to go to once again listen to that magical and calming sound. You form a plan, and then on the appointed day, there you are, where you always love to be, standing at lands end, staring at it and listening to the constant and endless crashing of waves on the shore…..nirvana to us.

The journey was a little more than three hours, and while not to the prettiest or most well known American beach, but nonetheless, a good beach which we would share with about 50,000 of our closest friends for the next few days. Welcome to Virginia Beach. Recently, our convertible received some tender loving care after a few years of no shelter, so the trip had even more luster to it. Sailing along down the road with the top down and the music up.

If you are looking for quiet and solitude don’t come to Virginia Beach, VA….but with that said it was evident that the city planners had vision. We can support our case because they created a very, very wide beach. This touristy resort town has also been known for its long stretches of wide beaches, which make it comfortable for many thousands of people to share the sand and not feel too crowded. Virginia Beach has a mention in the Guinness Book of World Records for having the longest pleasure beach in the world. No kidding, can that statistic be correct? The world? Well, ok, we read it so it must be true. There are hundreds of large hotels and condos towering along the boardwalk but they are set back from the water to allow visitors to enjoy each grain of sand. An amazing three mile long board walk abuts the sandy beach, next to that is a green space with flowers and park benches and on the other side of that is a wide bike path. This city is engineered for the active life style.

One of the nice things about Virginia Beach is you can park your car when you arrive and not need it again until you leave. Musical entertainment can be
Paddle boardingPaddle boardingPaddle boarding

plenty of activities
found at multiple locations each evening along the boardwalk. Food, drink, and fun are all a short walk. It is extremely clean and well manicured. And family friendly. Something for everyone. This is America so Virginia Beach is capitalism at its finest. The city rents beach chairs and beach umbrellas by the day. Nearby hotels and restaurants cater to those needing a break from the sun or they will pack a to go box so you can have your meals out on the beach. There are plenty of trash receptacles and toilets discretely placed so you can keep the beaches clean. This is a well thought out beach. Sounds like the local chamber of commerce needs to hire us. But hey, it is clearly a tourist destination in the Chesapeake Bay area, and they have done it up right. This was Dave’s first time here and MJ had not put her feet in this sand for well over…..well let’s just say it’s been a long time.

Runner, walkers, strollers, skaters, skateboards, joggers, toddlers, and pets a plenty. Parasailing, kayaks, surreys with the fringe on top. You name it you’ll see it. Well known for its beach volleyball you can
Brutus Beach BumBrutus Beach BumBrutus Beach Bum

Go Bucks! Resting up for the season.
find a net anytime you want. They must have more than 50 available beach volleyball courts.

Our first morning there, it was up early to enjoy the sunrise. There was a quiet serenity along the boardwalk. The streetlight lined avenue looked picturesque as the world slowly began to awaken. A few of us hardy individuals were walking the beach in the dark waiting for the show of colors. A few dogs enjoying there morning runs with their family. This is definitely a pet friendly location. The city workers were out on their John Deere tractors grooming the beach, smoothing it out, eager to lure the visitors for the day. The garbage trucks quickly zip along the beach emptying the cans to ensure a tidy look for the day.

As we walked along the Atlantic Ocean in serenity of the early morning hours we embraced the joyful music the waves were making along the shoreline. This was music to our ears and provided a great calmness to us. Slowly the muted pinks, blues, gray and white began to fill the sky. We were treated to Mother Nature’s light show as we watched a pod of dolphins glide along the
Quiet time on the boardwalkQuiet time on the boardwalkQuiet time on the boardwalk

Early AM waiting on the sun to rise
shore. We can almost taste the salt air, the smells, the sounds all provide us with an explosion of sensory stimulation and yet as we look around there is not much going on. ….oh but so much going on. We watched our dolphins for nearly an hour. They are a joyful delight to start the day.

A four wheeler came slowly down the beach in the early hours. A sign plastered on the front stating sea turtle patrol. We didn’t see any turtles. Perhaps it was merely a ploy for someone to ride a little four-wheel vehicle on the beach…who knows?

The U.S. Navy has a large base nearby and one feels secure in this location because the military helicopters and jet fighter planes fly over frequently throughout the day. This has to be one of the safer places to be, given the number of fighter plane flights in and out of the nearby base. Air superiority has been achieved. MJ would love to fly in one of those and has a few regrets not becoming a Navy pilot.

So since we are at the beach, MJ was in the mood for hush puppies. She had been
Virginia BeachVirginia BeachVirginia Beach

One more view
craving them for a month or so. We’d found a restaurant a short walk away that had a seafood buffet, which we don’t care for but it also said you could order off the menu. We stopped in to find out if they had hush puppies. They did! As it turns out they were on the buffet. Sadly, they would not let us order them unless we got the buffet. They would not let us order them off the menu. Amazingly crazy. So they lost that sale. As a result, we needed to find another place to eat. We turned right after leaving the above establishment and immediately laid our eyes on the Mykonos restaurant. Greek food!! What a stroke of luck..

Besides the excellent cuisine, we had wonderful conversations about Greece with the owner of the restaurant. We talked non-stop for nearly an hour. We ate, we drank and reminisced about the Greece and many of the isles. As it turns out our waitress was from Morocco. So after our wonderful conversation with the owner we ended up reminiscing about our trip to Morocco with our waitress. We really felt like we connected with her. We talked about the country, the people and the food. She offered to cook us a home cooked meal the next night if we would come back to the restaurant. Guess what we decided to do? The next night we enjoyed an amazing Moroccan chicken and sautéed eggplant. On our second evening at Mykonos we felt like we were visiting family. We drank wine, enjoyed the food and good company. One of the other staff members is in the U.S. working an exchange program from Romania. We really enjoyed talking with her about her homeland. She told us about her hometown of Beius. We’ve definitely added it to our travel list. We also returned again the next night, to enjoy moussaka. Eggplant with a tasty meat sauce. Along with the hummus, we were living large.

We passed the days sitting on the beach, reading and enjoying the surroundings. Although there were a lot of people, it really did not feel that crowded. Although the chances of returning here are slim to none as we prefer the beach less visited, we can say that we enjoyed ourselves.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

Peddle until you dropPeddle until you drop
Peddle until you drop

A great boardwalk activity
Local musicianLocal musician
Local musician

many venues available
Many music venuesMany music venues
Many music venues

Lots of music at Virginia Beach
Arial viewArial view
Arial view

bike path & surrey rental
A Champagne MorningA Champagne Morning
A Champagne Morning

Sand between my toes
Plenty of beachPlenty of beach
Plenty of beach

Chairs & Umbrellas for rent.
R & RR & R
R & R

Dave excels!
Beautiful colorsBeautiful colors
Beautiful colors

Enjoying the day
Walking the pierWalking the pier
Walking the pier

Memories of 1968
EffieEffie
Effie

Mykonos Greek Restaurant- we loved taking about Greece.


11th August 2014

endless crashing of waves on the shore
Not just Nirvana...necessary brain surgery for those who can experience it
11th August 2014

Sand between our toes
Dave here.......If the brain surgery is necessary, perhaps Nirvana is the destination!
11th August 2014
Glistening beginning of the day

Amazing photo!
It looks like liquid gold. We totally get it, sometimes the sea is calling...looks like a fun trip.
11th August 2014
Glistening beginning of the day

The sand
The beach is always calling....how long can one ignore it?
12th August 2014
Sun rising on another beautiful day

Disney Beach!
50,000 people, toys and entertainment galore--sounds pretty full-on, but how great that it didn't feel crowded and you found a spot of family at the Greek restaurant. And with dolphins--what a bonus!
12th August 2014
Sun rising on another beautiful day

Virginia Beach
Always good to be near the water and the dolphins were spectacular. We went to the Greek restaurant 3 nights in a row. It was great.
12th August 2014

Ahh, you made me homesick :-(
Oh, how I miss the ocean. The Mississippi will never be a substitute for me. Thanks for bringing the sights, smells, and tastes of a beach to me. Carolyn
12th August 2014

Homesick
We agree...no substitutions for an ocean. We love the salt air, the smells of the sea and fish all the senses come alive. I love mountains but nothing speaks to me like the sound of the sea.
12th August 2014

You missed the salt water taffy!
There's always a next time. You hit the jackpot with the Greek restaurant...with Moroccan food too. Linda and I lived in that area when we were first married. Linda's brother lives in Virginia Beach so we get there occasionally.
12th August 2014

Salt Water Taffy
I eat little junk food these days so I'd go with ice cream over salt water taffy any day. Hope you'll come for a visit soon. We'd love to see you again.
12th August 2014
A Champagne Morning

What better way to start the day?!
Champagne and sand between the toes, sounds perfect to us. Having both grown up right next to the sea, when we are far from it for too long, we miss it. The sound of the waves crashing is magical.
12th August 2014
A Champagne Morning

Sand between our toes
Ah good, kindred spirits who understand that music to our ears. Nothing better than the crashing waves to calm to soul...not that it needs calming after a bit of champagne but who can take that chance.
12th August 2014

the perfect American beach (from a foreign perspective)
Reading some Kerouac on the beach while getting sun-kissed! + Pancakes for breakfast, cinnamon rolls for a snack, bacon cheese burger for dinner! (who needs healthy, it's a holiday!) And pretty ladies playing beach volleyball! What did I forget?
12th August 2014

Virginia Beach
Plenty of pretty girls playing volleyball on this beach and working on their tans. It does sound like a place you might enjoying spending a few days. Plenty of liquid refreshments steps away and plenty of burgers.
12th August 2014

Great Blog
I really enjoyed reading your blog. It sounds like you both had a relaxing and regenerating time at Virginia beach. I loved how you got up early in the morning to watch the sky become light, listening to the waves and watching the dolphins. It has made me feel relaxed just reading your blog.
12th August 2014

Hey Alan
So good to hear from you again. I think we have a couple of your blogs to go back and read. Yes the morning is a great time to be out on the beach waiting for the day to get started. The dolphins were amazing. I love knowing they are out there frolicking while I am swimming. It was a nice trip.
12th August 2014

Virginia Beach
As always a great "2nd hand" visit. Love your observations!! The Greek and Moroccan food sounded and looked fantastic.
12th August 2014

Sand in our toes
We had a nice time in Virginia Beach and as always the treat for us was meeting new people and talking travel. The food they prepared for us was a delight.
13th August 2014

Hush puppies?
I've never heard of a hush puppy....other than the shoes and I'm sure they weren't on offer on the buffet! I had to google it. Looks tasty. What a nice time at the beach....
13th August 2014

Hush puppies
Hush puppies are a wonderful southern treat. All kinds of calories. They are made with corn meal and so they go great with seafood.
13th August 2014

Perfect getaway!
So glad you both had such a lovely sounding weekend away. The hunt for the hush puppies continues!
13th August 2014

Hush puppies
Yes I need to work harder at obtaining my goal. I allowed myself to get sidetracked by amazing Greek & Moroccan foods. I'm sure I can hunt them down.
13th August 2014

Cool
Hello guys, nice blog! Never heard of Virginia Beach before. On the east coast of th USA, I've only heard of Atlantic City and Myrtle Beach. Glad to read that you guys had fun. Take care!! Elton
13th August 2014

Virginia Beach
Hello Elton, Virginia Beach is lesser known than Myrtle Beach but very popular. It is easy to get to from Virginia, D.C., Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey and the Carolinas. It is a very fun and family oriented beach. It is fun watching the Naval fighters fly over. You've been around the world a couple of times. You'll have to check it out in the future.
14th August 2014

Snap
Hi there... well you will see from my last blog that I also was at Beach Capitalism Central in Alanya..... And listen... if you ever do make it to Australia when I am home you will blow your socks off at my beach.... tranquil and all to yourself early in the morning.... ....but enough of that. I am in Lesvos now trying to ignore the prices after Turkey (and I only had just gotten used to prices after India). Swimming is good though. Ciao
14th August 2014

Greek Isles
We have not been to Greece since 2003 but it still remains one of my favorites for many reasons. Although all us travelers know comparing countries is an apples to oranges kind of thing. We didn't make it to Lesvos so I guess we are forced to return. Glad you are free to move around the world. We spent two months in Australia but are eager to return. Have a great day.
28th August 2014

I swear I hear tides after reading your blog. It sounds a very relaxing and even nostalgic trip. What lovely hospitality you experienced at the Greek Restaurant (both Greek, Moroccan and more) -- those unexpected moments of genuine human kindness are really the best. ;)
28th August 2014

Virginia Beach
It is a touristy beach but great for families so you may want to consider it in the future. Very clean and well laid out. Good for active people and you never have to drive any place once you get there. The people we met were amazing. Thanks for finding the time to read.

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.05s; cc: 25; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb