2nd Day


Advertisement
Published: June 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We are excited to be here. We began our day with a walk in the woods with the dogs, returning for eggs and english cooked on an incredibly compact propane stove. The campground was typical and for those familiar with a certain environmental camp in New Hampshire: that can not compare for the number of flying "things" willing to relieve you of a bite or two of skin. But, all is well.

We took off a bit later than we expected which caused concern about seeing Monticello. We drove to a town called Front Royal wherein is located one of the four entrances to Skyline Drive. As most of today's photos attest, the weather was mostly cloudy and humid, thus causing a deep mist to form over the valley, thereby blurring our view. Still, I shot, hoping for the best.....the decision is yours. The highest point we reached was about 3400 ft. Overall it was fairly daunting.

In order to save time so we could reach Monticello in time for a tour, we existed at the Thornton Gap entrance, proceeding down to Rte 29 and our destination. The tour was expensive considering that one gets only to see the first floor of the mansion. Granted the grounds are open for self-tour as is the underside of the building and the graveyard, but I was a bit disappointed. After the tour we headed straight down rte 29 in order to find Schuyler, the home of Earl Hamner and his parents and siblings. I've included a couple of photos of the house. I was trying to imagine all of those individuals in this very small home. Of course what we know of the family took place during the depression so.....But truly, this is rural Virginia, very beautiful and very remote.

Tomorrow we will be leaving early so as to get to Tennessee. We are staying at a campsite named Hurricane Mill which is a name connected with Loretta Lynn. Eileen wants to see the Grand Ole Oprey was held for so many years. We are well and safe and truly enjoying our time away.

We had a couple photograph us on Skyline Drive to happily satisfy the request of a dear, dear friend.

MACT: I took care of your request. Hope you all enjoy the photos as much as I enjoyed taking them.



We want to say hello to Hailey, her mom Cheryl, and her dad, Ken

D and E.


Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



26th June 2012

Beautiful
The pics are great despite the heat and humidity. Looks like the beginning of your trip is lovely and going well. Will enjoy each installment till you get to NEOD :)
27th June 2012

Enjoying your pictures
Careful driving. When I drove to North Carolina with the boys, a coyote jump out in front of our car. The truck beside us took care of ending the creatures life. The Skyline drive is very pretty on a sunny day. Did you take in the Luray Caverns?
27th June 2012

Very Nice
Again the pictures are very nice, I love the one with you and Eileen. enjoy. Meta

Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0649s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb