Day 17 to 20 - Moab to Grand Canyon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Arches National Park
September 19th 2009
Published: September 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 17 - Invloved a hike around the "devils Garden" In Arches National Park. We really enjoyed this hike as it involved us climbing across large rocks and jumping over boulders. We got up pretty high and could see across part of the park and see how all the rocks had been separated and cracked over years and years by water that was once there. We managed to finish this hike in good time aswell being the fit bugs that we are! :-D

Day 18 - For once we didnt need to leave early so we got up at a nicer time and just had a look around the town of Moab. There isnt much there i think people mainly visit Moab for the national park. However it was still nice to chill out for a bit. We then left at 12 to head towards monument Valley where the Navajo indians live. This was a beautiful and amazing place. In the middle of nowhere, all quiet and peaceful surrounded by all the large red rocks of the desert. Just before we got to Monument Valley we stopped at the road that was featured in Forest Gump at the point where he decides to turn around after running constantly for god knows how long! Once we got to Monument Valley we got greeted by one of the NAvajo indians who took us on a tour around the valley and told us about where he grew up and the traditions of the indians. We visited one of the Hogans which is where they live and watched a 90 odd year old lady show us how she nitted rugs etc. Once that was done we then got driven around the valley more and the navajo guy played his instrument to us and then they cooked for us and also showed us their traditional dancing around the fire and gave us the chance to join in. We then got to stay in one of the Hogans overnight which was actually surprisingly warm inside!

Day 19 - We got woken up very early for sunrise in the valley which was beautiful...very cold but really nice to see. We took loads of pictures of this! Once we came out of the valley we headed to Lake Powell. This lake is HUGE! not really what we would really class as a lake!!! We spent a couple of hours relaxing by the lake which was like a beach really...and we ended up all getting burnt! After our cooking session in the sun we headed to a ranch that is owned by a guy named Easton who used to be a Trek America tour guide himself untill he bought this land and made a ranch especially for trek america people to stay at. Most of the group chose to go horse riding which they all enjoyed apart from it decided to storm during the ride but they managed to get through it alive! In the evening we had a few drinks in the barn, playing pool and cards untill the early hours of the morning!!

Day 20 - With a slightly sore head we headed straight to the Grand Canyon. Not much done today apart from driving. When we arrived we had a look from the edge of the canyon which was pretty impressive!!! I think describing it as huge is a bit of an understatment! After we had a look at the views we just headed to our camp in the national park and relaxed for the evening.



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.038s; cc: 13; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1167s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb