Day 13-16 - Sante Fe to Moab, Utah


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Santa Fe
September 19th 2009
Published: September 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 13 - We headed to Santa Fe which is a beautiful old like spanish town, i think the oldest in the USA dating from the 1600's. Small little markets and shops. All buildings have to be kept to the same colour...though they have a choice of 20 something shades of beige they may use! Here we had a look around all the little jewellery stalls along the streets...there were plenty all trying to sell their handmade jewellery from local stones. We then got speaking to some firemen who let us take a picture and one even let one of the other girls we were touring with to wear his whole fireman outfit!!! After Sante Fe, we headed to Durango-Colarado, we were staying at a campsite right next to the tracks of a steam engine! Which is still in use today and apparently, (whether this is true) is only one of 5 still running in the world today! In the evening we graced the town with our presence which turned into another late night/early morning!!!

Day 14 - We drove to Mesa Verde National Park in colarado. Look it up! For about 1300 years agrarian indians occupied mesa. The communities built stone homes in alcoves, held around 100 ppl and only lived to around 36yrs old, starting families as young as 13yrs! They must of been extremely fit and hard working to have built such amazing structures! We had a tour around one in particular but you could see at least 10 from certain views.

Day 15 - On this day, we were in Telluridfe in Colorado, which is used for skiing in the winter. As it wasnt winter the town was pretty quiet however the scenery was beautiful. We set off on a 5 mile hike up one of the surrounding mountains to a waterfall at the top. Amanda and me did it at a fairly fast pace and the others were lagging far behind! We are just too damn good! ; ) It was so nice to do some good exercise as we spent a lot of time in the van and the scenery at the top was well worth it!

Day 16 - Involved driving to Moab in Utah. Once we got there, late afternoon, we left camp around 7pm to go to the arches national park which is in the middle of nowhere and to watch the sun set! BEAU TI FUL!! Three mile hike to get there but was amazing, you will never see anything like the scenery and the rock formations! Whilst we were there there was a guy who proposed under the big arch, it was strange as one of the other girls from our tour had only just been talking about people proposing at the same spot!


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb