Day 5 and 6 with pictures for 3, 4, 5, 6


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » San Antonio
June 29th 2012
Published: June 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hello all

Eileen was interested in seeing downtown Nashville and Ryman Auditorium where the Grand Ole Oprey was held for the longest time. It was a bit difficult to get to as many of the streets were blocked for construction. After some jockeying, we finally pulled up in front. Unfortunately, the photos did not come out, but she is happy just to say she was there.

I'm including photos from the last couple of days. We did go to Dallas to see where IT happened. After all these years this location remains a quiet spot of reverence, especially for the individuals who were alive then and old enough to understand. We count ourselves fortunate to go and stand in front of the spot, marked by an X in the middle of the road, and to be near the "grassy" knoll.

It is remarkable that in the midst of all of the traffic and public noise, this place maintains a quiet aura as people walk around silently and reflect; the only voices are those of parents explaining the significance of the place, otherwise, just the sound of cameras clicking and occassional sniffle.

I can still remember where I was and what I was doing when the news came in. Even then I remember remarking about how we are supposed to be living in a civilized society, and then this happens. For those of you who remember, that was a special time. The Kennedy's were young and gave everyone a sense of self-worth and a world of possibility.

Eileen went up to the museum on the top floor of the former Texas Book Depository.

We got in the camp last night, met E's friend and stayed up quite late. Today we took the bus into SanAntonio proper to tour the Alamo. The tour is free; they request donations, and is as crowded with people as anywhere famous. I took a few photos of the mission (most recognizable) and the grounds.

It is very hot here.

We are currently sitting inside the camper as it seems a wind and rain storm is about to attack. I hope it blows over because I'm going to do shish-ka-bob on the grill for supper. We'd like to be able to keep the food on the plates. As I write, the storm has passed and the sun returns!

Tomorrow we will return to the city proper and enjoy the "River Walk", boat ride, and have lunch. I will take more photos.

Many of today's offerings were taken from a vehicle progressing down the highway at 75 mpr.

Dan and Eileen

ps. pictures 65 is Loretta Lynn's. 66 is the building which held the Hurricane Mills. It is located across the path from her home and is what her home is named for.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



29th June 2012

Tell me what pictures #65 and #66 are from?
Hi Eileen and Dan, Glad to hear your trip is going well. Tell me what pictures #65 and #66 are from. I hope the fires out west will not prevnet you from seeing all you want to see. Carolyn
30th June 2012

Thanks for sharing
Hi Dan and Eileen, It has been wonderful to be able to see your journey. The pictures are great! Thanks for sharing. Nancy
30th June 2012

Thanks for the great pictures.

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb