Flies time when you're having fun


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Amarillo
June 16th 2006
Published: June 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Kate here...

I'm sitting in the corner of a Starbucks in Amarillo, using their wi-fi, because some of the 5000 different cords for our various gadgets are in a state of limbo somewhere in the car. And I seem to have started some bruhaha about using Treos to get online with a laptop. Sorry about that. I had no idea it was an issue, and just had a couple of technical questions 😞

So I looks like we'll be blogging text from the Treo on the road, and posting pictures how/when we can. Like now.

I'm going to dump all of the pictures from the past few days in this post, and then try and go back and edit in the text with the phone on the road.

Kate here again...

Trace Lake MS was nice, though there was no swimming, no boat rentals, and no firewood for sale. It was a good campsite though and we were the only ones in the primitive camping area.

Day 2 put us on the road to Petit Jean State Park in Arkansas. The park was named after a very interesting character. A young French woman who cross-dressed and passed herself off as a young sailor in order to sail with her love to the New World and explore the Louisiana Purchase.

It was very crowded in the campground because of a big carshow, but no one was on the trails with us early the next morning.

Shay was able to get a good shot of the mist that was flowing along the surface of Cedar creek as we walked by. It was moving quite fast and was very beautiful. Lots of interesting rock formations and a nice big cave that had once housed a native tribe. While relaxing back at camp after our morning hike, I noticed that we had a shadowy visitor on our tent door, checking in on Emma and Bela.

The next morning we got an early start on our 12 hour drive across Oklahoma and into Texas. It was damn hot, in the 100s. We were supposed to spend 2 nights at Palo Duro Canyon, but it was very underwhelming, very hot (still 98 at 7:45 pm) and crawling with tons of bugs. Shay may expound further. We left early and are headed to New Mexico.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



16th June 2006

Jealous
As promised, I've posted your update in irc so we can all be jealous together of your adventures! Love the pictures! Not sure what I think of the Shadow Hound other than if he shows up again at another stop along the way, maybe you can sell the tent to GoldenPalace.com for big bucks after you come back. ;) *Wants to go frolic in nature* Wah!
16th June 2006

about the pictures…
• The turtle rocks would make a good submission to the Fark Photo contest for "I saw a turtle" • The dog shadow on the tent is awesome, did you have to move the tent to get that, or was it a happy accident? • Caption for the Petit Jean cave pic; "Where did everybody go?"
16th June 2006

Wonderful Pictures!!!
It looks beautiful out there in the real world. I hope you guys are soaking up the peace by the bucketful.
16th June 2006

I'm only slightly green...
with envy! Pics are fabulous and shadowhound is a very good omen. Maybe it was especially for Bela...
19th June 2006

Exciting!
I was beginning to wonder where y'all were. So glad things are going well. Can't wait to see you both (well four). Keep snapping pics and we'll see you soon! :)

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb