And the award goes to.....


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Amarillo
August 12th 2009
Published: August 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

It's been a less than thrilling week in Amarillo. The routine: get up, study, spend too much time on Facebook, watch the sunset, go to bed. Seven whole days. The maid has become my best friend. Except she doesn't speak English and I don't speak Spanish, so our relationship centres around her knocking on the door, saying 'cleaning' and me smiling profusely, nodding my head and leaving for the gym.

So, despite my deep connections to the place, it's time to leave Amarillo. Nik, sorry to say there hasn't been time to visit the 47ft tin cowboy. But Oklahoma, where the winds come sweeping down the plains, is calling. Before I leave, here are some of high and low points of the past two and a half months:

Most overused word in one conversation: "Y'all". It happened on the way down a mountain. Nik and I befriended a young man from Georgia (the state, not the country). It sounds more sordid than it was. He was a nice young man and, being from Georgia, had an intimate relationship with the word 'y'all'. Y'all meaning 'you all'. 'What d'ya'll do for jobs?'; What's y'all's favourite place in the world?'; What d'y'all think of the word y'all?'. Well, he didn't actually say that last bit. But still. Can't wait to get to Georgia, y'all!

Most annoying thing about America: Ladies, have you ever used a public toilet in America? Noticed the huge gap they leave between the door and the door post? Or is it just me that would like some privacy on the loo? What exactly do toilet designers aim to achieve with this design? Or maybe I have just stumbled on the seedy side of America?

Best piece of art: 'I'm a little teapot' found in Santa Fe, NM. I've recreated it for your viewing pleasure.

Most frequent topic on the news: Healthcare reform. Please, oh, please will something more interesting in the world happen. Still, it's fascinating to see the media work its magic in stirring things up and the average American (just like the average person in every other country would do) believe too much of what they read and hear in the news.

Most titillating-to-an-English(wo)man store name: Fanny Wrapper (two guesses what the store sells)

Most disturbing store name: The Buck Stops Here (another two guesses for what this store does)

Funniest moment: Alex sucking the helium out of balloons outside the hostel in L.A. Simple things, simple minds, as they say.

Latest night: 5.30am in Vegas

Earliest morning: 4.50am in Yellowstone. I still can't believe we got up that early, Nik.

Most frequent exclamation: This is awesome (and there's no charge!)

Most extreme weather: last night's thunderstorm in Texas and the heat in Vegas

Most breathtaking moment: walking to the edge of Sunrise Point at Bryce Canyon

Best meal: Nobu in Malibu. Those chocolate spring rolls were unbeatable

Worst meal: Buffalo burrito in the Grand Tetons

Silliest thing done: Probably the infamous diesel incident, but there have been others!

Most memorable moment: too many to mention. well, actually, finishing my dissertation beats anything else i have done for a very long time :-)

Biggest disappointment: getting so close (twice!) but not actually going to the Grand Canyon

Weirdest place visited: Definitely Amarillo.

Strangest person met: Lady who owns Changing Woman espresso coffee shop on the South Rim Road of Canyon de Chelly. She makes damn good coffee, though!

Most upsetting revelation: my inability to calculate distances. I thought this journey would be about 7,000 miles. I'm halfway through and already at 7,500 miles!!

Best sunrise: tie between Bryce Canyon and Monument Valley

Best sunset: definitely from my hotel room in Amarillo. A simultaneous explosion of lemons, tangerines and plums painted the sky. Like it was on fire. Absolutely stunning. So, after all, there is something good about Amarillo!

Favourite quote: By the time a Winnebago is parked on your head, it's too late to buy aspirin.

By the time a Winnebago...?! It's random. I love it.








Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



17th August 2009

Congratulations!
Congratulations on finishing your dissertation - you can get on with having fun now, without having that in the back of your mind as a distraction! I hope you have mentioned Amarillo in your acknowledgments! So, with fun, fun and more fun on the agenda, i'm looking forward to the next instalment even more than usual!! And lots of luck for your NY marathon training... at least if Betty Boy misbehaves again, you could run the rest of the way ;-) That would certainly be extreme training!!
17th August 2009

American loos
I had forgotten about the construction of American loo doors until we got out there last year - quite disconcerting, isn't it? One is never quite sure if those walking past are doing just that - walking past and not peeping whilst one pees. The picture of the sculpture from Salt Spring Island reminds me of the most amazing Native art store in Vancouver where we spent a good few hours and wished we could have afforded several of the most beautiful sculptures, particlarly of polar bears - even one would have been nice, but SOoo expensive! Don't forget that in Oklahoma, not only does the wind come sweeping down the plain but the corn is as high as an elephant's eye so be careful not to get lost because nobody would be able to find you if you wandered off the highway!!
17th August 2009

Congratulations!
So pleased to hear you've finished your dissertation, and before the deadline, too! Have a great time crossing Oklahoma - watch out for that waving wheat and the hawk making lazy circles in the sky! God bless xoxoxoxo
18th August 2009

things you missed in amarillo
you missed not only the giant muffler man, but also the pair of giant legs, the helium times column monument and the cadillac ranch, amongst others. http://www.roadsideamerica.com/search/tip. How did we miss using this website before? Well what do you know. Changing Woman is a Navajo legend. But yes she was weird! http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legends/Changing_Woman-Navajo.html http://changingwomancafe.com/changingwoman.html Congratulations on finishing the disseration. Say hello to Gracelands.
19th August 2009

So what's next Jen?
19th August 2009

Next
Places? Graceland! Then a whole bunch of other states and cities, including Kentucky, Georgia, the Carolinas, Virginia, DC, New York, New England, New York, Seattle, London....
27th August 2009

CONGRATS
wey hey!! well done on finishing your dissertation, many congratulations. love reading your blog and seeing the pics, what an adventure you're having! glad you and betty boy looking after eachother through the desert. keep on having fun, xxx

Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1076s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb