The Pilgrimmage to Nashville, Loreena McKennitt, and a Cavity Emergency


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Nashville
November 23rd 2007
Published: November 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

MandiMandiMandi

On the way there!
I have decided to get caught up on writing about our past adventures first. Since I haven't put our Savannah pics on here yet, and since I didn't even take pictures at Edisto (okay, so we stayed in a house on a golf course, although we don't golf, and mostly cooked and walked around...we pretty much lived like retirees for a week...it was great!), I thought I'd start with our trip to Nashville last April.
The whole point of the trip was to see Loreena McKennitt in concert, regretfully it was on the last week of school, so we had to do some managing. But, since she doesn't tour often, we had to go! We packed up and left, my sisters Mandi and Cheryl came too.
First off, I just want to say that, as much as I love Atlanta, driving through the city at night is terrifying. There were about 8 lanes in one direction and people were flying by at about 80 mph. Oooo...
Anyway, we made it to Nashville the day of the concert, thinking that we were going to get a nap before the show.
Ha! Silly us for dreaming such a thing possible! After excessive snacking
Neal Neal Neal

Neal drove the enitre way!!
in the car on the way, a previously undiscovered cavity popped up in Cheryl's mouth. So I spent the day on the phone, on a Friday afternoon. This means, of course, that not only were ALL the dentists booked (even the "Dental Emergency Center" ?!?), but they were also all closing for the weekend. After about 50 calls, one woman recommended a temporary filling that could be picked up at a drugstore, so Neal and I looked in the phonebook and found a Walgreens that we might be able to find. So, 2 hours and 50 miles later, we come back to the room with all the fillings they had. After looping the city, finding the Walgreens, and returning the the room on an alternate route, we discovered that there was a Walgreens about 1/2 mile from our hotel--in the direction we didn't take. I think Murphy was laughing heartily at that one!
So, I spent a significant amount of time over the next few days re-filling Cheryl's tooth, but we still managed to have fun.
We ate at Nashville's Hard Rock Cafe and walked around town til showtime. Loreena played at the Ryman Auditorium, which was beautiful. It used
Me (Sandi)Me (Sandi)Me (Sandi)

Oh yeah! Another adventure!
to be a Church, and then it housed the Grand Ol Opry for awhile. It was fun, because we sat on pews for the show. Loreena, of course, was AMAZING in concert.
The next day, we decided to walk around downtown. There were a lot of beautiful buildings, and Vanderbilt campus was a snug spot of green.
I was disappointed with the Music District however...we walked there from downtown and found only a lot of corporate buildings and a few restaurants.
Nashville is definately a colorful city. There were country bars and bbq joints every few feet, and a busker on every corner. There were also fortune tellers with tables set up on the sidewalk.
All in all, I found Nashville to be a pleasant place, but I don't think I would have found much more to do downtown if I had stayed much longer.
I would love to go again, but next time I think we'll research a little more and wander a little away from town.
Ahhh....what a lovely trip, minus the tooth thing, that is!



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Nashville SkylineNashville Skyline
Nashville Skyline

Just like the Dylan album!
The Parthenon!The Parthenon!
The Parthenon!

Well, not the real one!
Us and AthenaUs and Athena
Us and Athena

We have connections!
BeautifulBeautiful
Beautiful

The sky and the building


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0746s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb