Wedding and Charleston Mini-Moon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » South Carolina » Charleston
November 23rd 2007
Published: November 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Neal and I tied the knot on July 18, 2007, a mere 10 months after we starting dating. We were originally going to do a big shebang and all around February of next year (and accordingly, we booked a honeymoon for then). But we decided to be spontaneous and go to the courthouse.
So afterward, we packed up and headed down to Charleston, SC, one of our favorite places on earth!
We went two times within a few weeks, so I'll just talk about both times now.
We stayed at the Meeting House Hotelboth times, which I found out was one of the haunted ones. The rooms were so beautiful and the lobby was breathtaking. I am used to staying budget, so this place was like a palace!
I love Charleston because it is full of so much history and the buildings and views are breathtaking. It is also a very walkable city with wonderful food.
Every time we go, we make it a point to go to Andolini's Pizza on Wentworth and Chinar Indian Restaurant on King. ooooooh man, is it awesome. Andolini's pies are so big that I can only eat about one piece (and I can put away some pizza), and Chinar has a buffet with quality lamb and the best chicken curry ever (that's right, I said lamb on a 6.49 buffet...you read it right!).
Anyway, we took a ghost tour and heard all sorts of awesome stories, some even about the hotel we were staying in. By the way, if you ever stay in Charleston, watch out for room 8 at the Battery Carriage Inn...I think a significant number of people have left in the middle of the night due to the "Headless Torso Ghost" that appears and gurgles at the end of your bed. Oh and watch out for the bathroom at Poogan's Porch Restaurant, supposedly the ex-owner of the house will appear in the mirror...I am not exactly a believer, but I still refused to go in!
We also ate at The Barbadoes Room in our hotel...expensive but really good (once again, I am usually a budget traveller, but what the hey?). 82 Queen, the Southern Brewery, and Sticky Fingers were also places we ate and enjoyed. In fact, I don't think I've ever not enjoyed food in Charleston!
We also went out to Fort Sumter, which is awesome, except for the black blob that they built in the center of it! I love looking over the bricks and just thinking about how the Civil War started right there. Ahhh. The ferry ride over is almost as wonderful as the actual site too, as you get a great look over the harbor.
We went through a lot of cemetaries and took a lot of pics. Some of the engravings were so intricate and beautiful, and many of the graves were over 200 or 300 years old.
We visited the Aquarium and the docks as well as the College of Charleston Campus.
We also toured St. Michael's Church as well as the Temple in town. Everyone was so kind and everything was so grand and beautiful. We went on another tour that was in the dungeon of the customs house (after dark!) and there is a chain there that swings constantly with no known source! Regretfully I forgot my camera...which is sad because a lot of people get faces that appear on their film.
Besides Savannah, I think Charleston is supposed to be one of the most haunted cities. And I believe it, cause the city's got soul!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

The black blob of Ft. SumterThe black blob of Ft. Sumter
The black blob of Ft. Sumter

Okay, so the park on top is lovely, and the museum inside is awesome...just wish it fit in a little more with the rest of the fort!
Ft. SumterFt. Sumter
Ft. Sumter

Buildings used to line the edge of the fort.
View from the topView from the top
View from the top

Trying to imagine the past
A ghost?A ghost?
A ghost?

Taken on our first ghost tour!


Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0936s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb