Elvis has left the building


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Memphis
April 25th 2010
Published: April 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Liz at DennyLiz at DennyLiz at Denny

Right- this is Liz's 3rd, yes 3rd course at breakfast she had already eaten - bacon, sausage, ham, eggs, hash brown, toast and tea, followed by 2, yes 2 strawberry milkshakes and then those pancakes!!
Ohhh I'm so tired! We woke up today at 4am, from a very unique alarm call from Liz - let your imagination run wild.

We decided to have a trot out and went to Denny's half a block away, had breakfast by 6:30 then showered, took the advice of the barmaid from last night and took the short drive to Arkansas (the next state) to a little town called "West Memphis", had a quick drink and then drove to another state, 20 mins away - Mississippi, to a town called "Olive Branch" 3 states in 30 mins!! I'm obsessed with completing visits to all the states so I was well chuffed!

By now it was a reasonable hour to make our way to Graceland for our pre booked VIP tour. This was really good, it was a personal audio tour where you listen at your own pace as you wander round the rooms of his house and gardens. When we reached the Memorial garden it was quite touching and a few visitors were really overcome by it all. His Mum and Dad and Nan were also buried there with a memorial to his twin Jesse.

Next up was
ArkansasArkansasArkansas

Arkansas state line
a tour of the gardens and his planes as well as his outfits and a room dedicated to all his gold and platinum LPs.

We returned to our hotel and took another stroll around the area where our hotel is. We started to make our way to the Civil Rights Museum, where Martin Luther King was assassinated, but it was a bit far - It was within glancing distance but just that little too much after all the walking we had done! Sooo back to Beale street it was! We settled ourselves down in the garden area of an Irish bar called Silky O'sullivans. Liz got her Guinness! There was a little duet going on taking requests - It had to be done, Andy requested 'Walking in Memphis' and Nige requested 'In the Ghetto' both were fulfilled for "our friends from the UK!!!"

We had a bite to eat and thought we ought to take a quick nap as we had been up since 4am!! I couldn't sleep, but they all slept for two and a half hours! It then thundered and absolutely poured down, we all got ready and tried to figure out where we could get
West MemphisWest MemphisWest Memphis

In Arkansas
a quick snack. As TGIs was opposite, this seemed an obvious solution rather then get completely soaked. Its definitely the worst TGIs I've ever been to. We actually left only paying half the bill - In all honesty this was in error! They gave us 2 bills, and we thought they had removed the meal we complained about, but we actually worked it out back at the hotel it was one bill per couple!! Ooops!! $30 towards Vegas then!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

TennesseeTennessee
Tennessee

Back home!
Graceland signGraceland sign
Graceland sign

Speaks for itself!
Leigh & AndyLeigh & Andy
Leigh & Andy

Graceland Reception - Check out the state of art headphones
Elvis's award roomElvis's award room
Elvis's award room

platimum and gold awards for Elvis
EbonyEbony
Ebony

Ebony the last horse Elvis bought
Liz And AndyLiz And Andy
Liz And Andy

At Graceland Entrance
BB KingBB King
BB King

BB King's star on Main Street


26th April 2010

hello all
hello, just looked at ur blog it looks really good there!!.. Graceland looks magical we are soo jealous lol.. cant believe mum ate all tht food the milkshakes im not surpised at haha.. looks like ur all have a great time see u all soon .. xxx

Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb