Balaam's Beast takes a break …


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oklahoma » Guthrie
April 4th 2011
Published: April 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A walk ...A walk ...A walk ...

while Balaam's beast is repaired
Balaam's Beast, our awesome wheels for the journey, acquired some new spark plugs and wires in Lynchburg, VA thanks to the great guys at Integrity Auto (www.integritywheels.com). However, there was still a slight miss (one of the cylinders in the engine doesn't fire) under idle that disappeared as soon as any load was put on the engine. When we broke camp in Arkansas the miss now also appeared at times under when in motion. As we progressed onto Oklahoma, the miss became more and more pronounced and we struggled to maintain the speed limit on each slight rise in the highway. By the time we were about 150 miles out it was clear that one cylinder was no longer firing.

We called ahead and our brother-in-law was able to arrange a family technician to look at it first thing on Monday morning. Don and Lance of Speed Lube in Guthrie, OK blessed us by diagnosing our problem. It turned out one of our new spark plugs had become damaged and they removed the blackened plug and did a bit more tweaking.

This was wonderful as it provided us with an additional morning and lunch with our brother-in-law's parents. This sweet couple welcomed us into our home and we really enjoyed conversations with them , a walk around their neighborhood, and a wonderful tour of Guthrie … where some of Rain Man was shot (particularly where Dustin Hoffman is diagnosed and almost hit by a car). Thanks you greatly Ron and Mert. Our family was greatly blessed by you!!

After a new plug, Balaam's Beast was able again to maintain highway speeds and we were off. Yet, we are already looking forward to our next pause in the adventure as it seems a muffler leak may be developing and that great 302 V8 is sounding a bit more pronounced. For now it is moving forward we will see if the leak will remain small 😉

Advertisement



9th April 2011

been there
my family always had to park on a hill in case the starter doesn't work. :) what's an adventure w/o several trips to the repair shop - u meet the nicest people. :0 jia you!
10th April 2011

Balaam
Funny, I was just reading that story again. It is know among the tribes as "Balaam's ass" -- which reminds one not to be greedy...or avoid the lure of riches. Guess you could use some riches to keep your beast on the road. Let me know if you need assistance. ...and the blog is great!
10th April 2011

ran into your blog today!
Don't always know where to find it, but it was fun catching up. So good you have "friends" along the way in the US of A!

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb