New Mexico


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico
April 5th 2011
Published: April 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We drove through New Mexico bound for Colorado. Following the Santa Fe trail, used long ago for trading with the Native Americans, we came to a rather small town with a rather small welcome center. The man inside told me that in the 1800s his grandfather from Wales had immigrated to a town in PA, called Germantown. Due to lung disease his grandfather was sent to New Mexico where he began a wool trading business, bringing top-quality wool from Germantown to trade with local Indians along the Santa Fe trail.

As we traveled further north, we were surprised to see random roundish mountains appear along the plains. According to the information we had gathered in the welcome center, these mountains were volcanic in origin. By about 5 o'clock we neared Crater Rim, a larger volcano with a road to the top and a trail along the rim. Unfortunately we arrived just as the road closed, but the park superintendent was kind enough to tell us about a short trail along the side of the mountain and to let us know that deer, mountain lion, and bear have been seen in the area. Hmm, to hike or not to hike. We chose to hike with caution, sticking together, and eyes open. We hoped that it was still cool enough to keep bear in hibernation. Although we did see a few large droppings, the only animals we saw were mule deer in abundance. The hike was beautiful with an amazing view of the area, and we collected small bits of lava rock as gifts for friends in China.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb