Texas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas
April 6th 2011
Published: April 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Due to car repairs we had to cancel our ambitious plans to drive down to San Angelo to visit a friend. Nevertheless we still got to spend a night in the “Lone Star State.” We drove into the panhandle, the northwest section of the state, to a city named Amarillo. Kind of sounds like “armadillo” which we never did see, although we did see a road-runner run, and tumbleweed tumble! Anyway, as we drove through Texas we were amazed by the ability to see for endless miles. I mean, we thought Oklahoma was flat, that was nothin'!

In order to experience Texas in its fullness, and to live out it's claim to “do everything big,” we went to a famous restaurant called the “Big Texan.” Their claim to fame is a free 72 oz steak dinner, with all the sides...free, if you can consume it within an hour! Ugh! Either way, we did enjoy our buffalo burgers and the heads of deer, elk, moose, and a large grizzly, as well as a live rattlesnake in the gift shop.

Being a chilly night, we spent our first night camping in the van at a KOA campground. It was...cozy : ) Next morning we drove to the Palo Duro canyon-amazing! Unfortunately our little girl was not so amazed by the small flies that wanted to join her for lunch. Although she never ate her lunch I think we finally convinced her that flies only tickle.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



14th April 2011

Whoa, partner
Now that's real meat! And I have trouble eating a Whopper by myself.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb