Trinidad, CO


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Trinidad
April 6th 2011
Published: April 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We are now officially American. In order to break up our drive from Texas to Colorado Springs, we “camped” in Trinidad, Colorado. But here's the thing, we didn't just camp, we Walmart camped! We had heard of this true blue kind of camping online, and felt we wouldn't be true Americans if we road-trip across America without doing this. Arriving in Trinidad right before sundown, we located the local Walmart, found the row of Rvs parked on the far side of the parking lot and pulled our van inbetween. It felt like we were pioneers, traversing a new-found land, and circling up our wagons for protection through the night...in some strange, modern sort of way. So after perusing the aisles of Walmartville, Dad treated the kids to a real American dinner—Chef Boyardee. Mmm. After our dinner from a can, we settled in for a night under the stars, I mean, the glowing Walmart sign. Good-night!

Next morning we headed to “down-town” Trinidad where the kids played on a playground in front of a breathtaking mountain view. Dad parked by McDonald's in order to get on the internet. Not only is he a great driver (much more on that to come), but he is also a great trip planner! Each chance he gets to sign on, he's sending and receiving emails, updating our blog, researching our surroundings, and confirming our next steps. We also stopped in at the Trinidad welcome center, where we picked up a booklet on the “Trail of Legends,” a highway that loops off the highway between Trinidad and Colorado Springs and highlights scenic and historic spots. That was a fun experience, visiting old mining towns, seeing upturned rock walls, and picnicking by and throwing rocks into a mountain lake, reading about local history and legends.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



14th April 2011

Nearing Peublo, CO
Wow, the Great Sand Dunes are just west of Peublo -- and I think that is where my dad took us when Betty Kay was about 2 years old. We drove to visit his brother in Denver.
16th April 2011

need more info
we love it! We would like to know where you all sleep in the Beast (aside from Sim). Please provide pics! Do you have a microwave and fridge too? Also the sky is amazing!!!!
21st April 2011

Amazing skies....
Yes, we just can't get over thee skies after being in lovely gray Beijing ;) No, microwave or fridge, and sleeping inside is quite cozy ... in fact the little ones roll off their seats and land on me several times throughout the night!

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb