Buckling up in Buckeye


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio
December 2nd 2006
Published: December 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Having left Dixie land to the watchful eye of the crazy red-necked folk, we have moved north to Ohio, the Buckeye State.

Our trip up here was an eventful one, starting off at 03:30am Jona set off the alarm in Clemson's sleepy train station and as a result was soon greeted by Mr. Sheriff. Then at the end of our traveling day, having arrived in Dayton by plane we resented having to pay $60 for a taxi downtown, so we tried our hand at hitchhiking. Arms aloft, we spread strategically around busy areas of the airport. "Does the thumb go up or sideways?" we shout to each other.

After only a few minutes bright headlights blinded our vision. We made out a large SUV-type vehicle- plenty of room for us and our bags we figured. Jona, particularly enthusiastic, waved his hand drawing the van in. For a split second we believed we had succeeded - silenced the cynics who told us that hitchhiking "doesn't happen anymore" and that "no-one will pull over". We were living the life of our parents, of the 60's. When travel didn't cost money, people were friendly, 77' and 69' when revolution was in the
RotationRotationRotation

This is our so-called system of comfort. You can see Jona's feet hanging off the bed. Sam always ends up on the floor.
air...

Then we notice the badge printed to the side. SHERIFF. Bugger.

Five minutes later, pride shattered and feeling very much "patted down", Mr. Sheriff Number two took pity on our Englishness and dropped us back at the Airport Terminal with a warning. Hitchhiking is apparently illegal.

Upon arriving at the University of Dayton we headed for the crucifix which marked out St Mary's, Stuart Hall. Just as our arrival in Clemson was eventful - we were surprised in Dayton too. The fact that this was a Catholic college was deceiving...

Staying on floor 1 of a 6 floor block of 18 year old girls has few downsides. What's more, Randi (Jona's relation) had spread the word that the British had arrived. That night was pretty special, repeating back words and phrases upon request to girls who "just love your accent”. Randi was the perfect hostess and very patient considering the fact that within a few hours we made her dorm incredibly messy. Every few minutes we were taken on impromptu tours of the block, meeting just a few of the staggering number of friends Randi seems to have up in Dayton. On Wednesday night we
Jona the FairyJona the FairyJona the Fairy

We're not the tidiest of guests :-/
began the now familiar cycle of staying in a dorm. One sleeps on a bed, one on a mattress/couch and one on the floor.

On Thursday night (after a much needed work out in the daytime) we headed down to TIMS, to dance. This was one of those illuminating moments when we realised that we were no longer in England. We would normally have a pint or two, watching other people dance and maybe even progress to a bit when it got late enough and the dance floor was sufficently packed. Not in America.

We entered the club and were dragged to dance immediately. Without getting too detailed on what we would like to consider a family blog , we came out assured that American girls had powerful hips for dancing. Furthermore, we were happy to sample a new type of American Sandwhich ;-) (see photo).

On Friday morning we continued our new phases of exercise, as well as indulgence. Dayton University has very impressive sports facilities - full size swimming pool, whirlpool, full gym, climbing wall - you name it. Our competitive spirit was exercised with swimming races and aqua-basketball games. This has become a theme
Sam in the SnowSam in the SnowSam in the Snow

Visiting Kent State University, just down the road from where the Dyserts live.
of traveling as three males = competition. As yet this has not boiled beyond the odd grapple and wrestle - but we are constantly looking for ways of venting our testosterone.

Our stay in Dayton came to an end with more partying in what is known as the student "ghetto". We have all enjoyed meeting new people, Alec especially who is the first to suffer from the inevitable traveling romance. We left Dayton with fond memories and new friends- the girls on the dorm showed us a great time, stay in touch! As we walked across town to the greyhound station, Alec could be seen a few paces back, James Blunt's emotive hit Goodbye My Lover playing through his earphones... Along with the echo of Iron Mike's last piece of advice before we left the U.k. - "Whatever you do Boys, don't for God's sake, fall in love!"

Our greyhound was delayed by 6 hours, so we were posed with the question of what to do in downtown Dayton for something to pass our time. 'Smokey’s' offered the answer to this, and many other, questions. Nestled between a flyover and a highway, Smokey was a unique diner. We
American SandwhichAmerican SandwhichAmerican Sandwhich

Not the kind we have previously been used to.
met Jim, the owner of this enterprise - he guided us through the many meats on the menu - all of which are smoked over a number of days. For any travelers looking for a satisfying lunch in Dayton, check it out if you pass through.

Jim was one of the many unique characters we have been meeting on our travels. We spent an hour or two talking to Jim - about the weather, about his sons’ travels to London, about the Christmas inflatables on his roof. Just as we felt as though we knew Jim, the conversation led to politics - to the war in Iraq; "We have the nukes to wipe out both them big cities in Iraq and end this damn war. But they don't wanna...” Wide eyed with amazement that such a nice man could have these views we moved on to the local library, to use the free internet access.

Here Jona met another quirky character that seems to come as normal in this country. He translated a two page poem in Spanish (not prompted), then showed us a book he had written on Mysticism and his translation of a book of St.
Group HugGroup HugGroup Hug

Sam, I'm busy right now... Move on.
John the Apostle. To finish off he dictated from memory a letter he received from the pope to thanks him for his work. At such times we shrug at each other and marvel at the strange people you meet when you travel. It seems to be me (Jona) who meets the people on the fringes of normality, I guess Sam and Alec know to avoid eye contact and politely say "sorry mate"...

We eventually left Dayton on the greyhound and made our way up to Columbus, further north. The coach ride gave us time to get some much needed kip before meeting more of Jona's huge family. We were greeted at the coach station by Wendy Dysert and her son Kevin who soon after picking us up treated us to a tour of his University, Ohio State. Biggest in the Country with over 50,000 students. Kevin belongs to a Fraternity, and gave us a tour of his magisterial house and answered many of our questions about what really goes on behind these American College institutions.
.
After the tour we left Kevin to his studies and headed up to Hudson. Our accommodation for the next three nights was superb
Smokin JimSmokin JimSmokin Jim

Posing with smoked meat of some description
and gained the prestigious 5* AJS award. We took over the basement room which had everything we needed; pool table, foosball, ping-pong, poker, all were used to further the competition within the fellowship.

On the first day Jona and Alec were treated to a free professional football game in chilling conditions, sub-zero weather, watching the Cleveland Browns on the edge of lake Erie. Sam however had a slightly 'hotter' experience...

As you may know Sam doesn't really get the American Football thing so he opted for a day out by himself in local Hudson. Just after Wendy dropped him off on the High Street a girl approached him asking if he was lost. He was, and this combined with an English accent and Dostoyevsky sticking out of his coat pocket was enough to get him invited for coffee. International man of mystery ;-) It was a pleasant coffee with Mel and friends. Then she and her friends had to go so we said bye, all was pleasant. Then she comes back in and, right in the middle of this quiet cafe, asks him if he "want to go and make out in a corner or something". Speechless. These American girls, honestly... The whole cafe clientel turned toward me in anticipation of my response. Oh deary deary dee...

We had a great time with the Dyserts who were good fun. Wendy even kitted us all out with winter weather gear. We have space for it as, to date, between the three of us we have lost; swim shorts, 6 pairs of socks, a washbag, trousers, tee shirt, drivers licence and a mobile. Not bad! And don't worry, that's not only Jona...

It was by chance that one evening late in the Dysert's basement Jona tuned into BBC World Service and the first thing learned was of the Coup in Fiji. Classic we all said. Anyway it seems fine, we are still going, it's probably nothing. We're three young red-blooded males, Argonauts, Musketeers, it all fits baby, nothing can stop this train... We've got the world at our feet and we're going for glory. Now check this out...



There once were three Pommes in Ohio,
Who hips could not take Yankee gyro,
Buckeye was a hit,
With each sexy Brit,
And nothing else rhymes with Ohio.

(Sam's Limerick, he was very proud)

Big Al gets even bigger!Big Al gets even bigger!Big Al gets even bigger!

We've seen many astounding sports facilities in all the Colleges we've visited. Cogs are turning in Alec's head on future employment prospects.





Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Arty farty photo, by Sam this time!Arty farty photo, by Sam this time!
Arty farty photo, by Sam this time!

American Pool in the Dysert's basement, where we slept.
Family in SnowFamily in Snow
Family in Snow

Jona's cousin Jakie on the left and Auntie Wendy on the right, at Kent State University. Jona sporting one of the Dysert's generous clothing donations which kept us from freezing.
Sneaky Snowball Sneaky Snowball
Sneaky Snowball

Mischiveous Wendy landed this one right on Jona's Conk.
Kent State MassacreKent State Massacre
Kent State Massacre

The same site on May 4th 1970 where four students protesting against the war in Vietnam were shot dead by National Guard.


10th December 2006

lads i'm loving the blog, i am currently "chillin" (i use this term loosely, it was 39 degrees today with bushfire smoke hazing over melbourne) with some finley quaye in my ears. the job is good, staff cribo party on wednesday, we're going lawn bowling, sexy i know!!! and i collect my new golf clubs tomorrow, i'll be ready to enter the competetive male games with your arrival. oh yea fiji, there's nothing to worry about, unless they cancel incoming flights or something, but meh!! will be fine. gimme an mail with how youall are etc hugs and kisses xxx
10th December 2006

Weekly fix
Thanks for the blog fix.. Thanks to all my amazing Godshaw family.
10th December 2006

nice to have these little updates from u lads. tho they really make me wanna leave this wet, dark country for a bit!! hope ur all enjoying it out there it seems like u r. and no there are no sandwiches like that in this country!! sam mate loving the limerick keep them coming i think ur right that nothing else rhymes with ohio! cheers lads
11th December 2006

Cold
History tours as well as hot sandwiches! Sound like the States has it all - certainly looks like it.
11th December 2006

What's Cooking?
My homies, I'm happy to hear you're having a great time... Y'all gonna go to Cali too? Anyway... Keep doing what you're doing, just try not to commit anymore misdemeanors or felonies!!!
12th December 2006

After the cold, the hot..............soon !
Dear Sam, comme tu as beaucoup de chance de passer les fêtes de Noël et Nouvel An au soleil. Tu penseras, je l'espère, un petit peu à nous et nous feras rêver ! Quant aux américaines, je pense que les italiennes sont plus jolies....................... Bon voyage. Martine B.
12th December 2006

Chin up al, she's not worth it!... the girls will be better in oz, ask morley haha! And don't worry jona, once you get to australia morley will be the one coming last at all the sports! you put your thumbs up not sideways twats! Hope the fun continues. Peace duderinos xxxxxxxxx nuke them all! what a lovely man
14th December 2006

glad to hear you are "living the dream" bro...it looks like alot of fun.when does the great man they call SKINNY D enter this epic adventure? love to all the family and cheerleaders from me and the fraus in icy berlin
15th December 2006

So it's true about american ladies and english guys then? might have to get my self over there. And alec suck it up, you big girl!
20th December 2006

Its cold
hello there, Simon just showed me your blog, looks like your having fun jona! Anyway we're sitting in my house waiting for the heating to come on about to watch neighbours, also waiting for some bread for marmite and toast. Your brother is informing me of all the best ways to eat eggs cause i shocked him by revealing my dislike/distrust of them. Him and Hugh had a fun time in Berlin but he's suffering from a rather nasty mouth ulcer. Take care of each other, whens skinny D arriving? lots of love, Dani x
21st December 2006

OH - IO
Hey guys! Looks like y'all had an awesome time in Ohio, and i loved the comment about the American Sandwhich! Hope the travels continue to be fun filled and eye opening, and I hope to meet up with y'all sometime in the future, perhaps in Merry Ol England.

Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 15; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0752s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb