The Only Living Boys in New York (and Boston)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
December 13th 2006
Published: January 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Times Square like a Black HoleTimes Square like a Black HoleTimes Square like a Black Hole

You cannot see it, only its effects. This was taken on top of the Empire State Building just after Sunset on our final night.

Boston, Massachusetts



The wheels of our Airtran plane hit the concrete runway in Boston on Sunday 3rd December. We had a few days to fill before meeting up with Rachel who goes to Boston University.

Our first night was spent at Boston Backpackers, in the North East area of Boston. After spending an hour or so locked outside the hostel, kind George (the manager) finally let us in to his residence. George was keen on his rules (represented by the many signs restricting us in every way), yet was not blessed with the power to articulate them. George only grunted and grumbled.

After a good few weeks in rural America we were keen to go out and see the city by night. Luckily, live music was brought to us - our hostel doubled up as a live music bar! I tried a pint of local beer - Samuel Adams. Despite leaving aromas of woody oaks and offering a wide spectrum of malt flavours, it didn't match a brew of Courage poured by Skinny D at the Cambridge Arms.

Meanwhile Samwise could be found appreciating the live Classic Rock band that was on show. Covers of Bon Jovi and ACDC are evidently the way to the blonde ones heart...

Our stay at Boston Backpackers came to an abrupt end the following morning. We had to grab our stuff and go when the hostel apparently received a 25 person booking, taking it from empty to full. We had just enough time to grab our box of cereal and bottle of milk before leaving fuming George to undoubtedly rant at some more innocent travelers.

Whereas we may recommend places along the course of our travels, Boston Backpackers gets the Bristol2Bombay stamp of disapproval .

That morning we felt the icy hand of squalor creep down our backs. Stood just below the "no loitering sign" in Dunkin Donuts, we could be found spooning our cereal and milk from used coffee cups. Any remains of pride were extinguished when a homeless man, who had not seen a razor for years, walked in and ordered a medium coffee. We had opted for smalls to cut costs.

From this state we made our way to Harvard University, the scholarly centre for the rich and intelligent of America. It is worth a look around- Harvard square particularly - but the campus lacked the impressive architecture of Universities in the UK.

In Boston library I continued my record of attracting odd-bods. "If only they were attractive American girls” I thought to myself as I was cornered yet again. A local Boston man asked me if I played video games. I don't really. But for some reason i said I did and this resulted in ten minutes of trying to keep up with the random choice of subjects this man chose to talk to me about: Video games (of course); this mans childhood and Winston Churchill’s accent (apparently its American not English). Sam and Alec looked on, stony eyed and silent - worried for me.

We spent that night strolling along Newbury Street, a 3 mile stretch of expensive shops. Just a few doors down from the Versace Cafe we found Trident bookshop and cafe. We spent a good 3 hours making our smoothies last as long as possible whilst sifting through lonely planets and Russian novels. After a few attempts to move us on the waitress Filipa realised that we were not for budging. Instead she gave us free Ice cream (much appreciated) and let us know about Fung Wah, which is a really cheap Chinese coach running from Boston to New York.

It was great to stop and relax, with no pressure to move on anywhere or 'go see some sights'. We really picked up on the Boston vibe in that bookshop - European and Intellectual.

Our other days in Boston were mainly spent seeking out free entertainment. In America this usually means walking outside. The Freedom Trail is a walking tour of Boston which explains the cities varied history. The Boston Tea party and Charlestown - we've seen and heard about it all.

Otherwise our lovely tour guide (and relative) Rachel showed us the hotspots in the city, such as the massive Boston Common which was a bit like Central Park in New York. Boston is deservedly known as the "walking city".

A blog in America is not complete without a funny anecdote about food. The setting was Chinatown. We walked up the stairs into what looked like a big dining hall full of Chinese people speaking distant languages and reading Chinese newspapers. It felt like Beijing not Boston. We were relieved to get away from
Christmas in the USChristmas in the USChristmas in the US

We met up with Rachel on Friday. That night she took us along to a christmas fancy dress party so we felt we had to get into the spirit of things. The brown facepaint was very authentic looking, yet did look a bit odd when the antlers and nose were lost later on in the night
MacDonald’s, Subway, Dunkin Donuts, Krispy Kreme, Chipotle- all the chains that had dominated our eating habits in America.

After twenty minute, and two jugs of Chai, we felt we were ready to order. One of around twenty waitresses pushed her trolley up, and I asked for "beef noodle". Nice and safe. When it said noodle on the menu I thought it was a dodgy translation for noodles. Instead I received just one noodle. A giant, greasy, shimmering, sausage like noodle filled with beefy smelling paste (see photo).

Even after 5 minutes of uhhing and ewwwing Sam, always one to follow the crowd, ordered the prawn version of my delightful dish. I had little sympathy a few minutes later.
Samwise - "Uhhh this is gross man". Please leave tips or suggestions on how Sam and Alec are going to survive in China!!??

New York City



Sat in Subway restaurant, Broadway and 96th, we gazed up at the green wallpaper mapping New York. Brooklyn Bridge; Grand Central station; Times square - many afternoons of our adolescence have been spent staring at the same designs on the walls of Subway, Whiteladies Road, Bristol. In those dreamy days the misty romance of Manhattan seemed far away. Yet my Italian BMT with all the salad, Honey Mustard, Southwest and Sweet Onion sauce tasted oddly similar now that we had arrived in the big apple.

New York was different to our other stops in the states, since we didn't really know anyone and we weren't staying with any relations. Lonely Planet stepped in nicely to fill the void of local knowledge, as we followed its suggested tour of Lower Manhattan. It was late on a Sunday afternoon and the sun's rays streaked through the gaps in the skyscrapers. The pre-sunset light cut through the shadows of the eighty storey buildings. We walked the streets for hours in this eerie ambiance. These were our first impressions of New York City by day.

For a free view of the Statue of Liberty by water we took the Staten Island Ferry which leaves from the South Port subway station. Although we weren't close enough to get that photo, it was great to take a step (not literally) back from the fury of Manhattan. It gives you perspective into how big these buildings really are. The
The New York City SubwayThe New York City SubwayThe New York City Subway

Complete with New Yorker clad in Black
drawback of the Staten Island Ferry is that it arrives in Staten Island. From our very short impressions the place has little to offer apart from the Wu Tang Clan. I nearly got into a bit of trouble as i pushed into a woman on the way out from the ferry (by accident). "EXCUSE THE HELL YOU" she yelled. We all kept our eyes fixed on the sidewalk until we were safely back on our ferry to Manhattan were everything was safe.

We also enjoyed our visit to the UN building, where we technically left the country for 4 or 5 hours. The United Nations is independent territory - it has its own police force, stamps- the lot. Apparently they don't like penknives in UN-land, as I had mine taken away on the way in.

The guided tour was well worth the $12 or so. We had a beautiful Venezuelan Woman for a tour guide whose knowledge on the current affairs of the UN, and of broader issues such as Global Warming and Land Mines was staggering. She explained that the UN is about much more than the Security Council (which is there to settle conflicts), but more about Economic and Environmental global policy. Our guide also told us about a new campaign in 2007 which urges everyone to plant a tree to combat Global Warming. She finished the tour by urging us all "to be part of the UN. Without your belief the UN would crumble". These are all things Sam found interesting. For Alec and me, we were content at looking at all the reeeaaallly big rooms.

We also enjoyed the Rockefeller Centre which is giant entertainment complex in the middle of the city. In the centre is a beautiful ice skating rink with raised sides so that people can look down. It was magical when we first found this spot, the famous 80 ft Christmas tree (it took five miles of bulbs to light it), standing over the rink with Christmas music playing. We all cringed when the ice was cleared and Shaggy's hit "Angel" began to play. A man got down on one knee and proposed to his girlfriend in front of hundreds of people. Very cheesy and very American. It was cold that night and so we savoured the Christmas atmosphere as we know it. We were all aware that we would be in 30 degree heat on Christmas day.

We packed so much into our week in New York. To begin with we made the mistake of manically dotting around the city trying to see all the "sites". Towards the end we realised far more fun could be had staying still and soaking up the vibe of each neighborhood.

For example we sat in an Italian Cafe for a few hours, watching the trendy people of Greenwich Village pass by. We were amazed that this cafe was open all hours, Tagliatelle with Parmesan 24/7! Actually this meal caused a few disputes when it came to splitting the bill. We all thought we had paid more than our share of the bill. We walked in silence for a few minutes, not wanting to cause an argument. Before long, though, the floodgates opened and we spent the entire hour and a half subway journey home trying to decide who owed who a dollar. Despite sounding petty, we have decided to call up all debts and to tell each other about any differences straightaway- we figured it’s easier that way. It's just embarrassing when this happens in public places.

New York is definitely a City of a number of neighborhoods. We really like the fact that we could dot around the place, eating Chicken Chow Mien in Chinatown one minute, and then walking with the investment bankers to work in Wall Street the next.

We would recommend our hostel in New York a lot more than the one in Boston. The Continental Hostel, West 95th Street, is clean and cheap ($21 a night in central Manhattan). The best part is the basement downstairs which has sofas (we miss those), pool, table football and ping pong. Just watch out when booking through the internet as they try to charge your deposit two times, and add numerous taxes onto the cost.

We spent our last day in New York separately. Sam had the idea of meeting on top of the Empire State Building for sunset - "like in the movies". In the movies they don't show the two hour queues however, so we managed to miss each other, instead enjoying the impressive views alone. We met up later at a tiny 40-seat Theatre. I think there were just about the same amount of people acting in the play that
Wall StreetWall StreetWall Street

Trump Tower was just a few metres away. You could literally see the money dripping off these buildings - Gold everywhere you looked.
we saw as there were watching it. The play was an obscure comedy - the entire plot was an argument that 5 people have over the order that they should stand in a line! It was a quirky and memorable way to finish our time in New York however. We left NYC content that we had discovered the city which was imprinted on the walls of our Subway Restaurant in Bristol...

We spent a few nights in LA on our way to Fiji, choosing to stay in a cheap hostel not far from the infamous neighborhood of Compton. There was little to do and we had to take hour long bus journeys to see anything. We were all under whelmed by Hollywood, maybe we had just fallen in love with New York. The main event here was the shaving of the heads. Samwise valued his golden locks too much so opted out, I opted for a complete skinhead (sorry mum), whilst Alec went for a Mohican.

In LA we also did research into the coup in Fiji. Although it is a big political event there seems to be little impact to everyday life so we decided to go
The Void left by the attacks 5 Years agoThe Void left by the attacks 5 Years agoThe Void left by the attacks 5 Years ago

We visited Ground Zero and were surprised to find busy streets encircling it; shopping malls around and even a Metro station in the huge canyon. There were few photos or memorials, but those we saw were very moving.
ahead as planned, avoiding Suva - the capital.

We have finished our first leg of our journey. America is our first country and our first continent. We met some great people and shared some great times.

Onwards.... to Fiji!

Jona



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Awe and disbelief. Suspended in time.Awe and disbelief. Suspended in time.
Awe and disbelief. Suspended in time.

Not my photo, this was displayed on the walls of surrounding Ground Zero. It's amazing how the crowd members facial expressions are identcal for that moment of impact.
I remember you well in the Chelsea HotelI remember you well in the Chelsea Hotel
I remember you well in the Chelsea Hotel

"Ah but you got away, didn't you babe, you just turned your back on the crowd" The legendary Chelsea Hotel which is still functioning as a budget Hotel in midtown New York. Writers, poets, musicians and Artists are still in permenant residence here. Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen wrote songs here.. Dylan Thomas drank himself to death... Sid Viscious murdered his Wife in a room here.. I was enchanted.
Chelsea Art GalleriesChelsea Art Galleries
Chelsea Art Galleries

In the area of Chelsea (quite close to Greenwich village), there is little to do apart from visit one of the 300 art galleries within it's ten blocks. We amused ourselves in a roomful of posters by picking our favourite. This was mine.
Israel Horowitz's "Line"Israel Horowitz's "Line"
Israel Horowitz's "Line"

Now in it's 32nd Year off Broadway. A bit of a weird play.
Sleeping in the Airport. Sleeping in the Airport.
Sleeping in the Airport.

"Mummy, whats that man doing with no shoes on and lieing on the floor?"
California dreaminCalifornia dreamin
California dreamin

There were lots of cool people around Venice Beach. We tried our best. Sam picked his nose.


1st January 2007

Happy new year to you all, my friends! I have to say, reading this is easing the hangover (except for that noodle thing, which lookd gross!!) and i'm loving the blog. You've made me even more excited about going to NY in 16 days!! I'm also glad to hear that still every dollar of debt is still shifted to the next man. Looking forward to getting the lo-down on fiji too, take it easy fellas peace, Edrin PS jona, you still owe me 10 francs from table footbal in alpe d'huez..
1st January 2007

NY - NY
If You Can Make It There, You Can Make it Anywhere... Great to see you out there doing 'The Voodoo' that 'You Do..So Well'! Happy New Year intrepid explorers LOL Virginia Barts xxx
1st January 2007

What's cooking now?
Gald to see NY was good for y'all... Sad that you didn't venture around Cali more - Great state, take it from me... Now away from the US - It's gonna be a whole different ball game - Enjoy it - Stay safe! SB The Don
2nd January 2007


happy new year take care xx
2nd January 2007

happy new year
lovely j. well terrific to hear of your adventures out in the wide world, your comments are seriously starting to make me one hell of a jealous bird. like an envious emu or a green eyed great tit. although my madre has green eyes so maybe that should be her name... for more reasons than one. (i.e fabulous lady lumps for a woman of her age.) i hope your year is special, and magic and gorge a little like your behind. which reminds me that i am in mouring of that booty of yours. ive been wearing black ever since the day your soft squidge left my cupping palm. love you, love you, love you......... a tremendous amount.
3rd January 2007

Re.The Noodle..
Tips for China: Look around the restaurant at other plates and say "I want one of those..."OR use your 'Pointy Book' Alec... have you lost it already????!! You are SOOOO going to miss the hospitality you've had in the USA!!! Grateful thanks to all concerned for keeping the boys fed, happy and VERY well looked after these past weeks.
3rd January 2007

happy new year!
Happy new year boys. Glad 2 hear ur havin such an amazin time. loving reading ur blog keep it coming. no interestin news from here yet will be in touch when i start my own travellin adventure. lots of love xxx
3rd January 2007

HELLOOO samwise
Loving the blog, strangely uplifting to read it when I am in Wales in the rain... So glad to hear the stories, it's still making me laugh out loud when Im by myself reading it!!! Go to Fanny and Otto's in fiji - such good cake! x x x
5th January 2007

Happy New Year
Hello Sam, I wish a Happy New Year to you and your friends. I wish happiness, success ... Have a good trip. Kiss from France (Cars) Martine

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb