Day 5


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
January 31st 2011
Published: February 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

This was another day where we continued to press the snooze button. We had planned to get up at around 9 – but that got postponed until 10.30! We got up, showered and ready, and then headed back to the Metro Diner we’d gone to a couple of days earlier. This time I decided to try the pancakes, and they were very good! They were very filling though, so I had a little bit leftover.

We’d taken our laptops with us, so we stopped at Macca’s on the way back to use the free Wi-Fi (we bought 2 cokes so they couldn’t kick us out!).

After half an hour or so, we took our laptops back to the hostel and left to catch the subway again into Times Square. Once out, we were on a mission for more musicals! I really wanted to see American Idiot, the musical set to Green Day’s American Idiot album – and at the moment, Billy Joe Armstrong himself will be playing the main character. So we walked towards the St. James Theatre Box Office to see what kind of tickets were available in the next 2 weeks. Madi wasn’t that interested in seeing that, so she headed across the road to see what price tickets would be for Phantom of the Opera. I was able to get a ticket for American Idiot for the 13th, which will be the night Carl leaves NYC. It seems ages away, seeing as he’s not even here yet!!

Madi and I headed off from there, towards the Minskoff Theatre to see if we could get some decent tickets to The Lion King the following night. We walked in, and saw the cheapest tickets were $79 each, and that’s for up in the rafters. One of the guys sitting inside said if we paid $20 more we’d get much closer to the front, still up on that level. We got to the ticket lady, and asked for those tickets, to which she told us there was a 2 for 1 deal at the moment, so we could get tickets in the orchestra for only $68 each!! We jumped on them, and left very excited about the purchase we’d just made!!

We had another look in Forever 21 to see if Madi could find some nice boots (she did!), and then we decided to go walking, and see what other shops we could find, and stumbled upon an Urban Outfitters and H&M. I loved both stores last time I was here, UO for the books as opposed to the clothes they sell, as the books are hilarious ones you hardly see anywhere else! We made some purchases, and from there we walked towards 54th and 7th. We’d heard there was supposed to be a premiere for a new Jenifer Aniston and Adam Sandler movie around there, so we went to have a look for it. We arrived where it was supposed to be, and there was no red carpet in sight. We had no idea of what time it was on, and as it was around 5.30-6pm it could have meant it was on much earlier in the day, or we had the wrong date!

Giving up, we decided to head back to our hostel to drop off our purchases, and then caught the subway back down, as we were meeting Mark and Jon for some dinner at an Aussie pub, uniquely called the Australian…

I was hoping (with some doubt in my mind) that they might actually have a Parma… And to my surprise they did!! I was so happy, and they were actually quite good!! I wasn’t expecting much, American’s don’t even know what a Parma is! Of course it wasn’t the best I’ve ever had, but it certainly wasn’t the worst! We had a couple of drinks there, and then left so the others could find some internet. We had sundaes at Macca’s, and we decided it might be fun to have a couple more drinks at an Irish pub we’d found – funnily enough called Foley’s pub! (Madi’s last name for those who don’t know her!) After a long walk to find it (it’s across the road from the Empire State Building), it turned out to be dead, and with the news about what’s happening in Cairo on the big TVs, it was a little depressing and ruined the mood. So we all headed home.

Back at the hostel, I found out the internet was working, and purchased 24 hours for $8, so I could Skype Chris, and Mum and Dad. Was really good to chat to them all, and a bonus to chat to my Grandma who was at Mum and Dad’s!

By this time, it was about 3.30am, so I decided it was more than time for bed!

Advertisement



2nd February 2011

My first mention!! Five days and I only just appear?! How rude! ;oP Still, I guess not long now and for 9 days it'll be Carl and I did this, Carl and I did that, Carl and I got drunk and somehow got married in Vegas etc etc etc... ! x x
3rd February 2011

Candy are charging for internet now????
3rd February 2011

Yeah, they charge for net now, though it does mean you can go on it in your room, not just on the ground floor... It's also been very patchy with when it wants to work... Which is super annoying!

Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb