Day 34 - New York City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
August 20th 2009
Published: September 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We got up and headed to the Milford for another sad goodbye… This time it was Lauren’s turn. We said goodbye, to which she replied, “I’ll see you before Christmas!!” Looking forward to it LV!!
We left and headed down to the Ground Zero site. It’s a bit odd being there, remembering all the images from that day. The site itself it really big, you can only imagine how tall the towers themselves were. We basically did a lap of the site; you can’t really see much anymore, it’s just a building site now. We did see a mural on the wall, on the side of a fire station that’s across the road from the site. The mural had the names of all the fire fighters that lost their lives that day. Whilst we were standing there, somebody mentioned to their friend that it was 8 years ago. I knew it was in 2001, but I guess in my mind I hadn’t connected the dots because to me it doesn’t feel like that long ago. I still remember how TV programs were put on hold for a week to show all the news footage, everything that unfolded in that week. It just shows that even when something as terrible as that happens, life still goes on.
Anyway enough of being deep and meaningful, we found a Century 21 so we headed in there. It’s basically a department store a la Myer… But Cheap!! It’s also really packed with so many people searching for bargains, it was horrible, we lasted in one part of the store then got outta there!
We found and walked along Wall Street. We took some photos then walked to our next destination - Brooklyn Bridge. Once we got there we decided against actually walking it because it was super hot. So we walked underneath a bit of it, and then went for a bit of a casual walk.
We found a little pizza place and decided to have a quick dinner here. We then realized we had little time to get back, get ready and get to the pier for our Harbour Cruise!
We got there in time and got onto the boat. It was a fantastic cruise, one of the best things we did in New York. It took us down the Hudson River, right where the plane landed, we saw the Statue of Liberty with the Sun setting behind it. We went under the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges. Saw Manhattan Island all lit up once it was dark. We also had a few drinks on board, though I managed to confuse the bar staff with my Aussie license - 11/06/88 to them means I’m not turning 21 until the 6th of November…
Michelle got some fantastic pics - my camera isn’t a fan of night shots…
After the cruise, we walked back to the Milford Plaza to say yet another goodbye. This time it was UK Mich’s turn. She came back to our hostel with us to steal some of Michelle’s photos. We then walked her to the corner to get a cab, and then headed to bed!

Advertisement



15th September 2009

Aww Century 21 is great! I went in there a couple of days before this and whilst it was absolutely insanely crazy, there were still some fantastic bargains if you can put up with the mass of people! I feel slightly honoured that when you said goodbye to Lauren and UK Michelle, there were no tears like there had been with me! ;o) x x

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb