Las Cruces


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Las Cruces
April 12th 2023
Published: April 29th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We enjoyed our time in the Las Cruces area. We stayed at Leasburg Dam State Park. The sites include a sheltered picnic table. While in the area we hiked the Leasburg Slot Canyon, visited White Sands National Park, and went to McGinn's Pistachioland. We can't wait to come back to this area in the future as there is still so much more to do in the Las Cruces area. Thanks to Linda and Jamie for hike the slot canyon with us! Next time the Organ Mountains!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

McGinn's PistachiolandMcGinn's Pistachioland
McGinn's Pistachioland

Outside of Alamogordo, NM is the world's largest pistachio. McGinn's includes a pistachio tree ranch, Arena Bianca Vinyard, and a Country Store. The large pistachio was a tribute from a son to a father. Now it has celebrity staus and is a 'destination" in it's own right.
Leasburg Dam State ParkLeasburg Dam State Park
Leasburg Dam State Park

Located north of Las Cruces on the Rio Grande River, Leasburg Dam State Park was a peaceful and relaxing place to stay. There are hiking trails, opportunities to fish, canoe, kayak, and bird watch. The park holds night sky programs and has an observatory. The campsites included a sheltered picnic table, a fire-ring/grill, and a concrete pad.
Campground viewsCampground views
Campground views

From the campground there are mountains all around, including Robledo Mountain, Summerford Mountain, Dona Ana Peak, and Picacho Mountain. We are going to miss the mountains as we head back East.
WashWash
Wash

Trail on our way to the slot canyon. We had to hop a fence to find the trail!
Slot canyon entranceSlot canyon entrance
Slot canyon entrance

The trail to the canyon was rocky and the plant life was mostly cacti, mesquite, and creosote bushes.
Leasburg Slot CanyonLeasburg Slot Canyon
Leasburg Slot Canyon

As we entered the slot canyon the temperature was almost 10 degrees cooler.
Narrow pathNarrow path
Narrow path

The path was usually narrow enough that you could touch both sides at the same time.
Slot CanyonSlot Canyon
Slot Canyon

The walls got higher and higher. It was surreal walking through this canyon.
WallsWalls
Walls

Unlike most slot canyons that have smooth walls, these were rough.
Can we fitCan we fit
Can we fit

An illusion that the walls touch, but there was space for us to easily walk through.
Fallen rocksFallen rocks
Fallen rocks

Several places along the canyon were fallen rocks to climb. Fortunately we did not experience and new rocks falling.
Almost outAlmost out
Almost out

The walls getting shorter and more sunlight as we neared the end of the canyon.
Into the sunshineInto the sunshine
Into the sunshine

As we climbed out we saw some lizards on the rocks and it was much warmer than in the canyon. Call them cairns, piled up rocks, or stone johnnies—stacked stones seem to be everywhere.
Robledo MountainRobledo Mountain
Robledo Mountain

The view as we exited the slot canyon.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

We never tire of the sunsets near mountains!
White Sands National ParkWhite Sands National Park
White Sands National Park

Rising from the heart of the Tularosa Basin is one of the world's greatest wonders-the glistening white sands of New Mexico. These gypsum sand dunes have engulfed 275 square miles of the Chihuahuan desert, creating the world's largest gypsum dune field.
Picnic areaPicnic area
Picnic area

There are several picnic areas in the park with sheltered tables to sit at. They included trash receptacles and bathrooms.
WindyWindy
Windy

The dunes shift and move with the wind. Fortunately not so fast that we could not find our way back to our Jeep!
Sand, mountains, and cloudsSand, mountains, and clouds
Sand, mountains, and clouds

We loved walking up and down the dunes. The view of the mountains and the clouds the day we were there made it even more magical. If you are ever in the area stop and enjoy this natural wonder!
McGinn's PistachiolandMcGinn's Pistachioland
McGinn's Pistachioland

It is New Mexico, so there is always the chance of aliens among us! The Country Store included other items of interest like the free samples of all their pistachio flavors, wine tasting of the vineyard wines, an ice cream shop with pistachio ice cream made on the premises, and an array of gifts, souvenirs, children's items, and more. We bought some dill pickle pistachios and white chocolate pistachio bark. So good!
Classic 1940 Ford TudorClassic 1940 Ford Tudor
Classic 1940 Ford Tudor

Fully restored with original parts. You can browse through an album with restoration photos. Mike could not resist a photo next to this beauty!
Pistachio GrovePistachio Grove
Pistachio Grove

We enjoyed the motorized tour of the orchard and vineyards. The guide talked about the family farm history, pistachio and grape growing and harvesting, and the story behind the World's Largest Pistachio.
VineyardVineyard
Vineyard

The McGinns grow their own grapes and make their own wines. This is one of the unique features of their farm. The Pistachio Delight Wine is one of a kind!
Tim, one of the co-ownersTim, one of the co-owners
Tim, one of the co-owners

Tim is the son of the founder of this ranch. He and his sister are carrying on the family ranch. You can tell he loves what he is doing and takes pride in their products.
Original Pistachio GroveOriginal Pistachio Grove
Original Pistachio Grove

The high desert conditions in Alamogordo produce exquisite tasting pistachios. They have created some unique blends of spices and flavors such as Garlic, Habanero Limon, Dill Pickle, Ranch, and Lemon-Lime. Note that all the Pistachio trees are grafted onto oak or mesquite roots.
Sunset 2nd nightSunset 2nd night
Sunset 2nd night

Time setting on our visit to the Las Cruces area. We anticipate returning as their is still so much more to do!


29th April 2023

Love the :Pics
and the photographer. Living vicarious thru you guys! I need a heart emoji
8th May 2023

Thanks!
It is so fun capturing our exploring in photos. Love you!

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb