San Antonio, Texas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » San Antonio
April 14th 2023
Published: May 1st 2023
Edit Blog Post

San Antonio River WalkSan Antonio River WalkSan Antonio River Walk

The channels along the Riverwalk are only 3-4 feet deep. There are no railings on barriers along the Riverwalk edge and people do fall in every year. The open container drinking along the Riverwalk may have something to do with that.
We spent a night in Stockton, TX on our way to San Antonio, TX. We glamped at Alsatian RV Resort in Castroville. We learned about a self-guided walking tour of the town from our RV neighbor. We ventured out one day and did the tour. The tour takes you past many historic Alsatian style homes and buildings. While in San Antonio we explored the Riverwalk, the Alamo, Market Square, San Jose Mission, Pearl district, Castroville, and Fiesta San Antonio. We loved all the history and culture that are part of the San Antonio area! We anticipate returning for another visit in the future, still so much to see and do!


Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Fort Stockton RV ParkFort Stockton RV Park
Fort Stockton RV Park

This park is right off I-10 just East of Stockton, TX. Amenities include a pool and a restaurant. It was nice to have a pull-through site since this was just an overnight stay, so we did not have to unhook the Jeep.
Alsatian RV Resort PavilionAlsatian RV Resort Pavilion
Alsatian RV Resort Pavilion

The park we stayed at near San Antonia is on a golf course. There was a pool with a hot tub behind the main office, a small workout room, and a pavilion near the pool with a view of the golf course.
PoolPool
Pool

The pool had two levels with a waterfall wall to the second level. We enjoyed a swim one of the days we stayed here. Mike really enjoyed the hot tub!
San Antonio Paseo del Rio (Riverwalk)San Antonio Paseo del Rio (Riverwalk)
San Antonio Paseo del Rio (Riverwalk)

The riverwalk is one level below the streets of downtown San Antonio. It meanders along the San Antonio River for several miles through midtown. Giant cypress trees, palms, and tropical plants line the walk as well as shops and restaurants.
BridgesBridges
Bridges

We enjoyed a half-hour scenic riverboat cruise that passed under city streets and bridges along the Paseo del Rio. The guides give the history of the Riverwalk and many of the buildings as well.
Arneson River TheaterArneson River Theater
Arneson River Theater

The theater was completed in 1939 and named for Edwin Arneson. He was the chief city planner credited with securing construction funds from the Works Progress Administration (WPA) to build the Riverwalk. It has been used to stage events like the St Patrick's day celebration, Fiesta Noche del Rio, and Los Posadas. The 5 bells in the arches represent the 5 missions of San Antonio.
Arneson Theater AmphitheaterArneson Theater Amphitheater
Arneson Theater Amphitheater

There is seating for 800 in the amphitheater, right across the canal form the stage.
Stairway adornmentStairway adornment
Stairway adornment

Loved the terracotta planters and flowers along the Riverwalk stairways.
FlowersFlowers
Flowers

There are beautiful flowers ad plants along the Riverwalk.
So SereneSo Serene
So Serene

There is art and waterfalls along the riverwalk. Every hundred yards or so you can cross the canal over stone bridges.
McNutt Sculpture Garden at the Briscoe Western Art MuseumMcNutt Sculpture Garden at the Briscoe Western Art Museum
McNutt Sculpture Garden at the Briscoe Western Art Museum

This sculpture garden is next to the Briscoe Western Art Museum ust above the river walk. Admission is free to wander through the garden. The bronze sculptures depict iconic figures of the American West. This sculpture is of Quanah Parker, the last great Comanche War Chief. He led the last Comanche raid on June 27, 1874. He and his braves were defeated and he surrendered a year later to save his tribe from starvation.
El CaporalEl Caporal
El Caporal

A cowboy on the trail driving longhorns.
RainmakerRainmaker
Rainmaker

A brave aiming his arrow for the clouds.
A Cowboy's Carnegie HallA Cowboy's Carnegie Hall
A Cowboy's Carnegie Hall

Winding down at the end of the day with his dog, fiddle, and a campfire.
Casa RioCasa Rio
Casa Rio

Casa Rio (with the colorful umbrellas) was the first San Antonio business to open its doors to the River and take advantage of the setting. You can sit at tables along the Riverwalk or inside. The menu is Tex-Mex. We had a table right by the canal and enjoyed the food as well as people and duck watching during our lunch.
MuralMural
Mural

Lovely artwork along the Riverwalk
AlamoAlamo
Alamo

One of the 5 missions built in San Antonio, it was originally called Mission San Antonio de Valero. The missions housed missionaries and their Native American converts from 1718 to 1793. The Spanish authorities secularized the five missions and distributed their lands among local residents. It was renamed El Alamo by Spanish soldiers after the grove of cottonwood trees nearby.
6 Flags over Texas6 Flags over Texas
6 Flags over Texas

The courtyard at The Alamo had a variety of displays, including the six flags of the nations that have claimed sovereignty over Texas. In order they are: 1. Kingdom of Spain, 2. Kingdome of France, 3. Republic of Mexico, 4. Republic of Texas, 5. United States of America, and 6. Confederated States of America.
San Jose MissionSan Jose Mission
San Jose Mission

Work is being done on the church to restore the roof.
Mission LifeMission Life
Mission Life

The mission had a heavy outer wall and it had rooms for 350 Natives to live in the walls. There were at least 3 wells inside the walls and a number of adobe ovens that would have been used by the Natives for cooking.


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb