Day 8


Advertisement
Published: June 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This morning I woke up late so I was not able to run with Jessica and Wes, but I did manage to get 2 miles in before Reveille. This was the last breakfast without campers, so we tried to enjoy it as much as possible! :o) After breakfast we had announcements and then off to the art shack to make more signs for our cabins, they were all glittery!!!! Definitely a girlie cabin! We also cleaned to prepare for the girls to come! They should arrive after lunch and everyone should be here by 4ish just in time for supper! We all have lice checks today at 12:30 for female counselors and then 5:30 for our cabin.
Campers came in Greyhound buses…there were 8 of them and everyone was hooting and hollering! It was like we were waiting for a sports team! Girls and boys of all ages came off and there were hugs, 5 of our 6 girls rode on the same bus and then the 6th one was on the 8th bus, we got all the girls to the bunk and we played a few icebreakers while we one-on-one unpacked their ginormous bags, and when I say ginormous, they are like 5 feet long, I could probably lay in one, you could zip me up and I would be comfortable….NO joke!!! I helped unpack Kayla and then was with the others for the icebreaker, Carolyn and Addison stopped by to see how we were and she said that we were the fasted cabin to get unpacked! We then had to all get our heads checked for lice at the health center, and were off to a scrumptious spaghetti dinner. After dinner we went over cabin rules and then got ready for a camp fire. The girls listen so well!!! All of their eyes were getting heavy at the campfire and by 9 it was time to get back to get ready for bed! All the girls set out their need for the next morning and had snack, then we all blew out the lights, 10 min flashlight time and then bed. All the girls had stacks of letters to read and packages to open, so they spent quiet time looking through those. All the girls were happy with their bed placements, we have Kayla, Julia, Mikayla, Elizabeth (boo), Kelli (which I think is going to be a handful, stories to come later!), and Lauren. I am so excited for our bunk of girls! They all seem very well mannered; I think this is going to be a wonderful summer! :o) Amberlynn and I are both very grateful to have each other and the girls that we have, today we tried to set a lot of routines that I hope will stick and help our cabin get along!!!
Ok….so after I wrote all of this we had all the girls in bed, tucked in and ready for sleep, we just had said goodnight. Amberlynn and I laid down and just took a deep breath, right after that we heard a crash of thunder and lightning , then it started down pouring; ya, great timing (first night and first ever campers!)….not a nice rain but a down pour….so we both laid in bed thinking…oh no…..all 6 girls then ran into our room because all of their windows were open and it was loud outside, and I had to run outside and close them all…I came in soaking wet and had to get changed again….but not before the homesickness of Kayla and we could not get Julia to sleep in her bed “but the floor is so much more comfortable” After lots of coaxing we got her to sleep and got the rest of the girls to lay and listen to the rain. The one thing I forgot to mention about camp is that you can hear EVERYTHING!!! We live on a lake and voices and sounds travel great distances! So we could also hear girls screaming and counselors yelling to get back in bed, and not to worry. Crazy night!!!!! They eventually all closed their eyes and went to sleep!!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb