Glacier National Park


Advertisement
Published: November 9th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Glacier National Park

do you like to see these

Glacier NPGlacier NPGlacier NP

Kelly and Bob
:

"Experience is not what happens to you, it is what you do with what happens to you." --Aldous Huxley


August 19, 2005, Friday. We were back in the lower “48” before 9am. It has been two months since we boarded the ferry for Alaska—80 days on the road!! It has been an incredible adventure, but I’m looking forward to going home.
We drove the “Going to the Sun Road” it was breathtaking. Our vehicle just made the allotted 21’ or less rule. We stopped at Logan Pass and saw a group of mountain goats. There was some construction on this narrow mountain road, but the views were magnificent and the day crystal clear. I was glad Bob was driving.

August 20, 2005, Saturday. Fish Creek campground has no hook-up (electricity) and no showers. We hiked the Sperry Trail to Fish Lake about 6 miles. There was a significant elevation gain, and between my hayfever stuffiness and the climb, I was huffing and puffing for the first hour or so. This trail is also a horse trail so we had additional “obstacles” to avoid. It has a good hike so we rewarded ourselves with pizza and salad.
We took a brief visit into west Glacier and Bob found a bookstore, reading is our salvation on this journey.
GoatGoatGoat

Can you believe this as we hiked this goat came down the trail and passed right in front of us

August 21, 2005, Sunday. Glacier National Park has a hikers shuttle. So we went to Apgar Village and got the 8AM shuttle for “Going to the Sun Rd.” We traveled to Logan Pass and began hiking the Highland Trail. The trailn is high and narrow and follows the road, did I say High!! It has a cable fed through a hose, which is fastened into the cliff (like a railing) so there is something to grab, just in case! Heights don't usually bother me but this created some verdigo.
As we were winding up and up, something caught my eye, a big Mama Mountain Goat eating her way towards us. Bob got his camera and was snapping away, I was desperately try to get out of her way.
We headed back and hiked the boardwalk up, up, up to Hidden Lake Overlook. It was a full day of hikers and we met the shuttle back to W. Glacier to find a campground with a shower. We discovered if you drive outside the park you can stop and use the shower facilities at private campgrounds. The day after we left, we heard on the new Road to the Sun was
Bob along the trail Bob along the trail Bob along the trail

Below you can see the Road to the Sun!
closed due to SNOW!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Road to the SunRoad to the Sun
Road to the Sun

Can you imagen building this bridge in about 1930


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb