July 4, 2010


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri
July 4th 2010
Published: July 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

July 4, 2010
MISSOURI

Last night we did a bad thing. We thought we had a place lined up to stay in East St. Louis, but when we got there we were told, “No”. Unfortunately, St. Louis was having their fireworks over the Arch and we took a wrong turn and landed right in downtown St. Louis with what seemed like millions of cars and people. Thank God for the Garmin. I set it for the next town on our Historic Rt. 66 map and it took us to Manchester where we found a place to park around midnight.

We left Manchester at 7:30 this morning and headed down “The Mother Road” again. Stopped at Rt. 66 State Park. They have a really good little Rt. 66 Museum at the Welcome Center. We spent some time there getting more history of the Missouri Road. It was quite interesting.

Headed down the road again and took some pix of some of the old motels along the way. Also, got a picture of the old Burbon Water Tower and the Circle In Malt Shop. And then on to Cuba where we came upon the “Giant Rocking Chair” and the Wagon Wheel Motel (newly restored). Someone put a lot of $$ into this place. It really is quite nice.
Went through Hooker Cut and over the old bridge at the Piney River at Devil’s Elbow. Drove through some beautiful country. Caught the Giant Bowling Pin at Buckhorn. On to Lebanon for the night.




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Giant Bowling PinGiant Bowling Pin
Giant Bowling Pin

Gotta love the sign too!


Tot: 0.22s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb