Rt. 66 Illinois


Advertisement
Published: July 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

July 3, 2010

Today we spent most of the day in Springfield. We went to the Abraham Lincoln Museum and Library. Toured the hood were Abe and mary lived and the old State Capital Building. In learning about how things were done back then, I have decided that Politics and Politicians have not changed all that much. We just know more about thier back room dealings and other bad behavior. Too bad for us.


Next was Auburn, IL where we traveled 1.4 miles on hand-laid brick road (Rt. 66) that runs through farm land just outside Auburn. We took a wrong turn somewhere and had to stop and ask a farmer wroking his field how to get back on Rt 66.

On to Norwood where we traveled a very narrow stretch of two-lane. Legend has it that when the concrete was poured the turkeys decided to take a stroll before it was hard.

Last but not least. Carlsville where we drove through a neighborhood of Sears Roebuck Catalog houses that were built for Standard Oil Employees and then to Collinsville to see the Catsup Bottle Water Tower.


That's all for today. Must look for a place to stay tonight. It was a hot and siticky, icky day. Need to rest.





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Hand-Laid BrickHand-Laid Brick
Hand-Laid Brick

Hand Laid Brick Rt. 66
Turkey Track PavementTurkey Track Pavement
Turkey Track Pavement

Turkey Track Pavement
Sears Roebuck HouseSears Roebuck House
Sears Roebuck House

Sears Roebuck House
Cataup Bottle Water TowerCataup Bottle Water Tower
Cataup Bottle Water Tower

Catsup Bottle Water Tower


4th July 2010

wow
Wish I was there! Looks like fun!
4th July 2010

on the road again!
You are starting to remind me of the Griswolds! Be careful! Happy 4th of July!
5th July 2010

Pass the ketchup
Hi Andrea, I just returned from vacation at the lake. I read your first entry. I feel like I'm in your back seat. Thanks for sharing your travels, and have a great trip.
6th July 2010

Rt 66
Sounds like a wonderful way to travel. Keep having fun!

Tot: 0.255s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0672s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb