Back in the U.S. of A.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts
September 18th 2008
Published: November 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Speeding thru New England 22 secs
Got up this morning and headed toward Massachusetts. We haven't decided where we'll stay tonight but we're thinking somewhere around Salem.

We plan to be in Freeport, Maine at around lunch time and I plan on my last lobster dinner at Harrakeets. And that is pretty much what we did. Lobster was good and the owner gave me some hints on how to eat lobster like a professional. Also how to eat clams without the grittiness of sand (and all the time I thought that bowl of water was a fingerbowl) by dipping each piece of clam in the water then butter then eat.

After lunch Cal wanted to see the Delorme headquarters. To those (like me) who haven't had a clue as to what Delorme is, Delorme makes maps. David Delorme founded the company in about 1976 making maps mostly for outdoorsmen. Maps that showed topography and bike/hike trails in various states. We have several. Since then he has branched out into GPS as well as other things. The headquarters was really interesting. There is an enormous spinning globe named Eartha in the entryway of the offices. There is a store with all things Delorme as well as other stuff.

After that it was on to Massachusetts.

YIKES! After days of tranquil driving and little or no traffic and the most stressful thing, having to pull over for tailgaters we are officially back to civilization. It was a total jar to the senses and the nervous system.

Suddenly we are on narrow one lane roads heading to Salem with honking horns and people that have never heard of the right-of-way and traffic traffic traffic! It didn't help that it was rush hour. I hate Massachusetts! We made it to Salem intact except for jangled nerves and ended up in some square cattiwompus from the Witches Museum. We took a breather and reconsidered staying here. Checked the map and decided that we'd stay in Concord and check out the Lexington Concord Minuteman battlefield tomorrow. On our way to Concord we drove along side the Minute Man National Historical Park.

We found a Best Western that looked nice and cost even more. We were not real enthusiastic about finding some place else so we settled here.

There was a nice Italian restaurant next door and we had dinner there. End of day.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb