On the Ferry


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » New Brunswick
September 17th 2008
Published: November 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

On the ferry


Our ferry didn't depart from Digby until 1:30 pm so we had quite a bit of time to kill before then.

The first thing we did was go to the ferry dock and get reservations for the afternoon ferry. They told us that we could come back later and pick up our tickets and then wait in line at around noon or so.

We decided to explore the islands a bit and also try to find the basalt cliffs and balancing rock. We drove south through Digby neck, crossed by ferry to Long Island and traveled to the opposite side of the island and crossed another ferry at Brier Island. We drove around for a while but the little towns along here were pretty run down and there didn't appear to be too much to do. We drove around looking for the road to the basalt cliffs but found out it is a pretty rugged hiking trail only. Not only do we not have a lot of time but at this stage in our trip, not a lot of energy either so we passed on this.

I know that Brier Island is where the premier whale and sea bird watching is supposed to take place because a portion of every fee is donated to educational places doing research on the various whales that reside here. Humpback, Pilot and Wright whales as well as other species of Cetaceans. Some of the work is ongoing on these whale watching trips. But...since we'd done this already we decided to go back to Digby and explore there, eat lunch and get our ferry tickets.

We stopped at another restaurant along the water in Digby and had lunch, walked around the town, I bought a sweatshirt and then we drove to where the ferry left, picked up our tickets and then drove around a little more away from the town. We found another lighthouse on a really beautiful bluff. This was one of the prettiest places I've seen (I know, I've said that a few times before). One of the strange things we saw was on the flat rocks overlooking the water were these strange orange areas in the rocks that outlined the shape of the rock. I have no idea what they are but we got some pretty good pictures of them.

We headed back to the ferry pier, got in line and a few minutes after 1:00 we boarded. This is a huge ferry. There are hundreds of cars, semi's and every vehicle in between. Our trip will take about 3 hours so we went into the ferry. It is quite lavish compared to the other ones we've been on. It should be, the cost was almost $300.00 when you count cost of the car and the trip for two people. Still, it saves us lots of miles and time rather than going around. And it is a new experience.

There was a restaurant, a nice lounge with an area where they showed a movie ("National Treasure") as well as lots of places to walk outside. It was several stories with differing lounges on each deck. There was a Starbucks (YAY!) and lots of other things to do.

Cal watched the movie and I opted to listen to a book I'd downloaded on my IPod that turned out to be chick lit but fun and funny.

It was dark and very foggy when we got to St. John. We will be staying in St. George, NB tonight. It is a boring ordinary motel. Tomorrow we will head for Maine back in the states.





Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Net thingysNet thingys
Net thingys

There was a whole string of these things. They are obviously used for fishing or lobstering but we never did figure out what they were.


Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0957s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb