Bar Harbour


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine » Ellsworth
September 13th 2016
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 44.5292, -68.4032

Today's destination is Bar Harbour - one of those not to miss tourist places which one can manage for a couple of hours only. The area is well known as a vacation destination.

Our route there was interesting. We had originally planned on taking the highway but our host last night suggested an alternate route.

We drove to a ferry dock at Back Bay and boarded the NB ferry to Deer Island. The inter-island ferries in NB are free. We crossed the island to catch another ferry to Campobello Island. That was an interesting experience. It is a privately owned barge which is attached to a small tug like boat. When the ferry launches, the barge is adrift until the tug switched sides.It is the first time I have driven aboard a ferry directly from the beach (no dock).

Campobello Island is shared by the US and Canada. You leave the island by a bridge. The first stop after the bridge is the US border agent.

From there we drove to Bar Harbour. There are many heritage type buildings but they are secondary to the very active tourist trade.

The harbour picture shows an older double masted schooner, a sleek sailboat and a cruise ship.

We spent a couple of hours and the headed to our accommodation in Ellsworth. The price of lodgings in Bar Harbour was too high.

Ellsworth is a pretty small town which must have a large surrounding population considering the amount of mall type shopping and the traffic jam in the middle of town.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb